Is DVI significantly better than component?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Norris, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I just got a Samsung HD tuner (for OTA broadcasts) that only has component instead of DVI. Model SIR-T151. I was told that I can't really see a difference between the 2 connections, so save the $ and get this one. It was the last one they had, so maybe they were trying to push a sale. For the price ($248) do you guys think it wasn't a good deal, and should I return it and spend a little more to get a tuner with DVI?

Thanks!

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

No, you don't need DVI. You won't notice the difference with component video and you save money too!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Samsung makes a DVD player with DVI and component. People have hooked it up both ways and not seen much difference between the 2 connection types.

4. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for your answers. Now I'll feel better and go look for an antenna. [​IMG]

5. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The improvement of DVI is directly relevant to the type of display in use.

Those using fixed pixel displays (Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS) are likely to see the biggest difference. I was watching ESPN-HD last evening (Duke vs. Maryland) and the PQ between the DVI input and the component input was quite apparent, with the DVI input looking far better. I use a fixed pixel display. There is one exception, where a certain brands current generation plasmas perform an A/D of the DVI input, followed by an A/D which will be fixed in the next generation.

For CRT based displays, it can be a wash, but using the digital path prevents an extraneous A/D conversion. HDTVs use digital for signal processing. Depending on the sets architecture you might see a better picture with DVI, and you might be hard pressed to see a difference.

Cheers,