What's new

Is DVI significantly better than component? (1 Viewer)

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a Samsung HD tuner (for OTA broadcasts) that only has component instead of DVI. Model SIR-T151. I was told that I can't really see a difference between the 2 connections, so save the $ and get this one. It was the last one they had, so maybe they were trying to push a sale. For the price ($248) do you guys think it wasn't a good deal, and should I return it and spend a little more to get a tuner with DVI?

Thanks!

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, you don't need DVI. You won't notice the difference with component video and you save money too!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Samsung makes a DVD player with DVI and component. People have hooked it up both ways and not seen much difference between the 2 connection types.

Norris

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for your answers. Now I'll feel better and go look for an antenna. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The improvement of DVI is directly relevant to the type of display in use.

Those using fixed pixel displays (Plasma, LCD, DLP, LCoS) are likely to see the biggest difference. I was watching ESPN-HD last evening (Duke vs. Maryland) and the PQ between the DVI input and the component input was quite apparent, with the DVI input looking far better. I use a fixed pixel display. There is one exception, where a certain brands current generation plasmas perform an A/D of the DVI input, followed by an A/D which will be fixed in the next generation.

For CRT based displays, it can be a wash, but using the digital path prevents an extraneous A/D conversion. HDTVs use digital for signal processing. Depending on the sets architecture you might see a better picture with DVI, and you might be hard pressed to see a difference.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks