What's new

Is DTS processed through DVD player or receiver? (1 Viewer)

RaphaelZ

Agent
I have a HK avr 310. I'm buying a new DVD player. The DTS logo is obviously on the receiver, but what if I bought a DVD player without the DTS logo? Do they both have to have decoders in them, or is the receiver enough?

Thanks

Nathan Stohler

Second Unit
Real Name
Nathan Stohler
If the DVD player can output the digital signal (via coax or optical) to the receiver, then your receiver will be able to decode it. Your DVD player does not need to be able to decode dts if your receiver can.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...
--Nathan

Drew_W

Screenwriter
If you connect your DVD player via a digital cable, it sends the stream to the receiver where it is decoded with its D/A converters.

Alternatively, if you connect your DVD player to your receiver with 6 analog cables (like you have to for SACD/DVDA), then the PLAYER does the processing with its DACs, and all the receiver then has to do is send that information off to the amps.

You have to, however, enable the digital output on your DVD player. I helped a friend design an HT a few months back, and he picked up the Best Buy package with a few recommended upgrades. When I visited him a few weeks ago, the system sounded great, but something seemed a litle strange. He hadn't enabled his digital out on his DVD player, and so it was simply sending him a 2 channel signal which was then processed into DPLII or Neo6 by his receiver. After the correction, it sounded much better ;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The DVD player actually does need to have the DTS logo, which denotes the capability of passing the DTS signal. Some older players cannot pass a DTS digital bistream. So while the DTS logo is needed, it merely is passing the stream to the receiver to decode. Only players that have on-board DTS decoding are actually doign the decoding, and you would then use 6 analog coax cables instead of one coax or one optical for digital connection.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Yup, Chris is right. My DVD player only outputs DTS through either the optical or digital coax. It has 6 channel analog outputs for DVD-A but that only passes DVD-A or Dolby Digital. The DVD player even says "DTS Digital Out" on the face.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks