What's new

Is CNN bigger than the BBC? (1 Viewer)

Ugo Scarlata

Stunt Coordinator
Ugo, you are still failing to take into account the vast numbers of radio listeners for whom the BBC is important, making them a well-known item. The Afghani world service is very important to the people over there.
Good point! I wasn't taking radio broadcasts into account at all.
On a related note, some Afghanis (mostly high-ranking members of the Taliban) apparently watch CNN, believe it or not! At least according to my father, who visited Afghanistan with an EU delegation a couple of years ago.
Of course, the average Afghan citizen cannot afford a $5 radio, let alone a TV set.
frown.gif

Cheers.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
SteveA was obviously taking the piss. Odd how no-one else noticed.
As a Brit in the US, I'm constantly suprised by how little a lot of people here know about the UK & Europe, so a comment like that isn't obviously taking the piss to me.
Again though, I'm suprised by how much some poeple /do/ know of the UK. Definitely more of the former than the latter category though.
------------------
Nothing In Particular

SteveA

Supporting Actor
Fox News is "right wing"? I don't think so. In my opinion, they are a lot more balanced than CNN or the major networks. They are becoming extremely popular for that very reason. When I made the comment about Fox News becoming bigger than CNN and the BBC combined, it wasn't in jest. A bit exaggerated - maybe - but not in jest.
By the way, when I originally asked the question "What's the BBC?", I was indeed "taking the piss" if that expression means I was trying to ruffle people's feathers and stimulate discussion!
[Edited last by SteveA on October 26, 2001 at 08:55 AM]

TheoGB

Screenwriter
That's what it means. Taking the Micky comes from the same expression (don't know if that's any more known over there) because Micky is short for some long medical name for urine (micheluria...blah!). Someone once stated pompously in the Radio Times that there was no need for 'taking the piss' when 'taking the micky' was available.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Congrats Steve, looks like you reeled quite a few people in.
icon14.gif

------------------
My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
My Novelty Coasters

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks