What's new

Is a Yamaha RX-740 enough to drive a ML Cinema Center? (1 Viewer)

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
A little debate between my friends, Dave, Tim, and I. Dave just bought the RX-V740, and a Cinema for the center. He is also using a pair of Aeon in the front, but they are driven by a B&K ref 2220, and is using a pair of Definitive Technology BP2X for the rears also.

Now the arguement is Tim says the Yamaha isn't enough to power the Cinema center, but I believe since the mains are being powered by the B&K amp, and that the rears are fairly efficient speakers that it is fine. The center is also set to "small". Dave is now extremely concernd thinking he is going to ruin his new receiver, and as much as I try to reassure him he won't turn on his system until I have checked with you guy's.

Anyway maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think there is a problem here, but what do you guy's think? Anyone have a similar combo?

Jerry Thomas

Stunt Coordinator
I was talking to my friend Tim last night, and apparently he got his info from hometheaterhifi.com about the Cinema Center. From the article it says that the Cinema was hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V1000 receiver along with a pair of Aerius i's, and that the Yamaha had to be turned "way up" to drive the speakers. The reviewer of the Cinema said that it put too much strain on the receiver, and I agree. I agree that using the Aerius i's with the Cinema center on the receiver would prove to be too much on the receiver, but not the Cinema alone. As much as I like hometheaterhifi.com IMO that was just a bad review. It gives the reader the impression that they are going to kill their receiver if they hook up a Cinema center to it. The Cinema isn't as hard to drive like the Aerius i's are, and still by using a 2 channel amp for the mains puts less stress on the receiver giving it the juice for the Cinema. I'm sorry, but HTHF just gave bad info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks