What's new

Is 15'x17' a big HT? (1 Viewer)

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I keep hearing lots of references to room size. The SVS PCi series subs says it for small to mid size rooms. Reviews on the Outlaw 1070 say it's got a true 65 WPC which is plenty for small HT's. My problem is, I don't know how big my room is.

I'm finishing the basement. The great room is about 15'x40'. I've got one end for the HT. My surround speakers will be about 17' from the front wall with the couch 1-2 feet in front of them. Would this be considered a small, medium, or large room?

mylan

Screenwriter
My theater is 15x18, which to me, is a small room. There really is no room for an extra row of seating. My advice is to go bigger than you think, especially if you want to put risers in for tiered seating.

Chip_Slattery

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm reading you correctly your overall room size is 15'x40', and you're using 17' at one end for your HT, but this area is not separated from the rest of the great room by a wall?

If so, I think you need to take into account the entire volume of the 15'x40' space when sizing your sub in order to achieve the proper SPLs. If I were you I'd send an email to SVS with your room dimensions, and if possible a quick sketch of how the space will be laid out. They'll be happy to size up the proper sub for you, and can answer questions as to what type of sacrifices you may be making with a room that large.

By way of reference, my HT is 17'x23'x9' and I have an SVS 20-39PC+. No problems achieving desired sub levels with this setup.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Assuming 8-ft ceilings, that’s 4800 cu. ft. That’s getting pretty big. A sub for a “mid-sized” room might be pushing it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replies. Chip, thats right...The room is not divided (except for the couch). I'll talk to SVS and give them the details of my room and see what they recommend. Hopefully I'll be able to afford it :).

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Steve

You'll definitely need to account for the entire open space. That's a big area. My theater, strangely, is the same size as Chip's but with an 8' ceiling and bulkheads around the perimeter. I'm using a single Paradigm Reference Seismic-12 sub and there's zero problem filling that room with sound. That said I've wired for two subs and will add a second in the future just to fill things out more.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Chip:

Is there a problem with putting a wall up to divide the room into two areas? This would make your calculations easier.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I'm afraid putting up another wall would be immediately vetoed by the wife. I went ahead and ordered an SVS PCi 2039. I didn't consult SVS because I can't afford anything more. I'll still have my Paradigm PDR-10 and I wired for two subs so if I need it, I'll hook it up but I don't think I will.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks