1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Is 14g heavy enough for LCR if bi-wired?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark McGill, Dec 21, 2002.

1. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

Hello: Hey I was wondering if the experts could weigh in on this. I have a ton of Monster 14g in wall THX speaker wire that I would like to use for my LCR Paradigm reference speakers. I know 12g is the best, however if I'm bi-wiring would the lighter Monster be okay. The maximum run is about 12'with about 4' of it actually in the wall. If I need to get the 12g I'll get some at Home Depot. Also what kind of connections should I purchase. The reason I'm asking is I think santa is getting me a Denon 3803. Thanks for the replys and Happy Holidays.[​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Some high end speaker sites recommend the following gauge based on run-length:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
    11-20 ft: 14 ga
    20+ ft: 12 ga

So your 14 ga wire should be just fine for the front 3 speakers. Dont even worry about bi-wireing.

3. Mark McGill

Mark McGill Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for your reply. What you said is pretty much what Paradigm recomends. Sometimes I think that some people get a little to carried away on the must use the 12g approach. I will probably still bi-wire though, mostly because I can. That's right no sound reason for it probably, but I might as well.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

5. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

This question is for Bob or anyone out there, and is kind of related to this thread.

I have a bunch of 12 and 14 guage wires. If I run these wires together to each of my surrounds (> 35 feet each), would I get the same effect as running a larger guage wire? And what would that guage be?

6. Christopher Lyn

Christopher Lyn Stunt Coordinator

Just read a post from Bill D (just looked down the list some more) and he posted the same question that I asked.

According to one of the replies, coupling 2 12 guage speakers would have a relative guage of 9 and coupling a 12 and 14 guage would have a relative guage of 10. Is this correct?

I will just be using a 12 guage speaker wire and a 14 guage speaker wire connected to the amp and speakers

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

something like that...you could always look up the cross-sectional area of 12 & 14...sum them, look up in a table what the sum matches.

8. Nick.H

Nick.H Stunt Coordinator

Personally I use 12g all round,

Centre, 1m each
    Front Speakers, 3m each
    Rear Speakers, 8m each

Thought I best go for the biggest I could get, Im also thinking of biwiring this weekend.