What's new

Is 14g heavy enough for LCR if bi-wired? (1 Viewer)

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
Hello: Hey I was wondering if the experts could weigh in on this. I have a ton of Monster 14g in wall THX speaker wire that I would like to use for my LCR Paradigm reference speakers. I know 12g is the best, however if I'm bi-wiring would the lighter Monster be okay. The maximum run is about 12'with about 4' of it actually in the wall. If I need to get the 12g I'll get some at Home Depot. Also what kind of connections should I purchase. The reason I'm asking is I think santa is getting me a Denon 3803. Thanks for the replys and Happy Holidays.:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Some high end speaker sites recommend the following gauge based on run-length:

1-10 ft: 16 ga
11-20 ft: 14 ga
20+ ft: 12 ga

So your 14 ga wire should be just fine for the front 3 speakers. Dont even worry about bi-wireing.

Mark McGill

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your reply. What you said is pretty much what Paradigm recomends. Sometimes I think that some people get a little to carried away on the must use the 12g approach. I will probably still bi-wire though, mostly because I can. That's right no sound reason for it probably, but I might as well.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Also what kind of connections should I purchase?
I missed this the first reply.:frowning:
I am a big fan of the dual banana plugs from Radio Shack. Part (2xx-308). They have an over-sized hole in the side thats great for 12 ga or bi-wire. A solid spacer bar helps prevent shorts. And they make it easy to do a neat wire job (very important to not have strands of copper sticking out to cause a short.)
These things run about $6 / pair. Be sure to buy 1 set and bring them home to make sure they fit the spacing on your binding posts. The spacing on binding posts IS NOT UNIFORM.
I did use the dual plugs for behind the speakers and receiver. But they stick out about 3.5 inches which is very long. Radio Shack sells some nice single bananas (2xx-306) that un-screw into a barrel through which you insert wire, bend, then tighten the plug on top. Very solid connection and very neat.
Also, this thread about Hook Up Advice has a lot of good advice about equipment layout. This can make a big difference in how easy it is to wire up your system.

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
This question is for Bob or anyone out there, and is kind of related to this thread.

I have a bunch of 12 and 14 guage wires. If I run these wires together to each of my surrounds (> 35 feet each), would I get the same effect as running a larger guage wire? And what would that guage be?

Christopher Lyn

Stunt Coordinator
Just read a post from Bill D (just looked down the list some more) and he posted the same question that I asked.

According to one of the replies, coupling 2 12 guage speakers would have a relative guage of 9 and coupling a 12 and 14 guage would have a relative guage of 10. Is this correct?

I will just be using a 12 guage speaker wire and a 14 guage speaker wire connected to the amp and speakers

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
something like that...you could always look up the cross-sectional area of 12 & 14...sum them, look up in a table what the sum matches.

Nick.H

Stunt Coordinator
Personally I use 12g all round,

Centre, 1m each
Front Speakers, 3m each
Rear Speakers, 8m each

Thought I best go for the biggest I could get, Im also thinking of biwiring this weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks