What's new

Help! Monitor Audio vs Paradigm (1 Viewer)

JesseMantz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Morra
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum and I've been having a lot of difficulty lately deciding which speakers to go with for my new system at my new house. For starters, and for everyone here to be aware of, I've removed all walls on my main floor so this system will be in the back corner of my house where my large "L" sectional couch is. What I've decided on, regardless of speaker choice, is to have two ceiling speakers behind the couch (wiring is already complete with 14 gauge + sub cable), the left and right positioned beside the tv on either end, towards the bottom of the tv, the center speaker below the tv but above the fireplace aimed directly at you, with a sub on the bottom right and the receiver on the bottom left.

I've heard the Monitor Audio "Radius" series and it sounds awesome. Again, I'm not doing a $100,000 system. I'm between a $2,500 and $3,000 budget here and I've been quoted on the higher end of the scale with the Monitor Audio R90 left and rights, a Monitor Audio R200 center, their mid-grade ceiling speakers, and the Radius 10" subwoofer with a 2-zone Murantz app controlled receiver.

The lower end of the scale was Paradigm's Millenia series. Not too fond of the center speaker as the Monitor Audio R200 is larger, the Paradigm center just looks like a right or left speaker on its side. The receiver was a Yamaha although I'm not sure the model, and the ceiling speakers were also from Paradigm, same with the sub.

More recently, I've been told that MK Audio has their "Home Theatre" series. All in all, I'm getting confused. Price points are far off from eachother but I do like the style of the Monitor Audio system. Style aside, I want some expert opinion here as well as suggestions for direction.

I thought I would also mention that most of my movies will be played from external harddrive MKV torrented files through my Western Digital TV Live box, through my receiver. So no, most movies will not be played via blu-ray disc. I torrent my files. Please get back to me! Thanks, all!

Jesse

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You probably would have been better off not telling everyone that you are torrenting movies, as that is more or less frowned upon around here. However, since I think the studios are ripping us off with their overly restrictive DMCA protection, I'm not going to hold it against you too much.

I'm not familiar with MK Audio. Paradigm speaker are very good and you can't go wrong there. But what it comes down to is you don't have a problem, any time you describe a speaker as "awesome" - you're done, that's your speaker. The reason is, while there are good and bad speakers, once you're in the good zone it all comes down to what you like. One person may love the Paradigms, one person may give it a "meh". So get what you like.

Receivers, as long as your buying a decent one, all come down to what features you need. For what your doing any brand/model will do, so again, just get one you like. Decent brands are Yamaha (my favorite), Pioneer, Onkyo (usually the best feature bang for the buck), Marantz, Denon, Harman/Kardon.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The Millenia series is designed to be ultra thin, does that really matter to you? if not, Studio Series if you can afford it, Classic if not! I have 20 year old Paradigm Monitors still kicking much ass!

JesseMantz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Morra
Al.Anderson said:
You probably would have been better off not telling everyone that you are torrenting movies, as that is more or less frowned upon around here. However, since I think the studios are ripping us off with their overly restrictive DMCA protection, I'm not going to hold it against you too much.

I'm not familiar with MK Audio. Paradigm speaker are very good and you can't go wrong there. But what it comes down to is you don't have a problem, any time you describe a speaker as "awesome" - you're done, that's your speaker. The reason is, while there are good and bad speakers, once you're in the good zone it all comes down to what you like. One person may love the Paradigms, one person may give it a "meh". So get what you like.

Receivers, as long as your buying a decent one, all come down to what features you need. For what your doing any brand/model will do, so again, just get one you like. Decent brands are Yamaha (my favorite), Pioneer, Onkyo (usually the best feature bang for the buck), Marantz, Denon, Harman/Kardon.
Thank you for this, Al. I appreciate your feedback.
As for my post surround torrented movie files, it's just something I had to state and it's not like I'm the only one on this forum doing it. It's just my choice and it really should not make anyone feel like they should frown upon me for it. I do thank you for your comments and chimming in.

JesseMantz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Morra
Sam Posten said:
The Millenia series is designed to be ultra thin, does that really matter to you? if not, Studio Series if you can afford it, Classic if not! I have 20 year old Paradigm Monitors still kicking much ass!
Hey Sam,

Based on what I see, the Paradigm Millenia series and the Monitor Audio Radius series aren't too far off in size except for the fact that Monitor has a larger center speaker which is really the most important speaker of any 5.1 stereo setup, correct?

JesseMantz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Morra
schan1269 said:
If you want "absolute correct"...All three front speakers are the same speaker.If like mine, all 5.
My front three will be the same Audio brand and of the same speaker line whether it's Paradigm or Monitor, except Monitor Audio carries a larger center speaker as a part of their same line up. The only exception to the rear speakers is that they are in wall, but still good nonetheless.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Helps to know which Millenia. I assume you mean the ONE 3.0.Yes the center is the exact same speaker as the other two. Just like I said. Same speaker for all three locations.Hope this is a tiny room. Tiny speaker, tiny sound.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just looked at the MA R.4" midrange as well. The plus?MA includes two(gee whiz) instead of one.The R90 does 80hz?At what, -12.Gee thanks for nothing MA.

JesseMantz

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse Morra
schan1269 said:
Just looked at the MA R.4" midrange as well. The plus?MA includes two(gee whiz) instead of one.The R90 does 80hz?At what, -12.Gee thanks for nothing MA.
Pardon my ignorance but electrical currently measured in hz or negatives don't process through my head with understanding as it may with yours. I'm a carpenter guy myself.

As for your comments, "tiny speaker, tiny sound" I cannot put anything larger than this within my surroundings otherwise it will look cluttered. Based on the demo's, they sounded great. Of course, my ears haven't developed that palet where yours can distinguish more than mine but from what I heard, those "tiny speakers" produced a great sound overall. Again, that was in a different environment, within a closed room. My main floor is completely open.

What else have you found regarding Monitor Audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks