What's new

Is 14' enough to get a good size projection? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Z

Auditioning
My living room in setup to view TV in the "width" direction, which is only about 14'. Is this enough distance to get a good size 16x9 picture of should I just get the Hitachi 65" rptv?

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My current room is 11' wide and 15' deep and I am projecting a 96" 16x9 image with a viewing distance of about 12' to give you an idea. Some projectors are short throw and others are long throw... ie, need to be placed further back from the screen to achieve the same sceen size. Mine is a short throw projector that is mounted a mere 11.5' from the screen.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Mike:

At a throw distance of, say 13' ... you can easily achieve a 100" diagonal 16:9 image with the X1 (SVGA DLP) and an even larger image with the Panasonic L300U (1/4 HD LCD Projector), which has an especially short-throw lens. I've found that a 8' (96") diagonal 16:9 image is about perfect for a viewing distance of 12-13 feet as it occupies approx a 33 degree image field.

You also need to consider the seating position(s) in the room. Find the prime seating spot and note the likely distance from eyes to screen. What about seating positions for guests? Is there a likely seating position where someone would be sitting closer than 10' or 11' from the screen?

For an SVGA DLP projector shooting a 100" 16:9 image, you reallly don't want to be closer than 10' or pixel effects (mostly screen-door effect) can become bothersome. Of course, a higher resolution PJ (i.e. more pixels, each one smaller), or smaller projected image will allow you to get closer to the image.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks