What's new

Is 128 bit encryption available for IE6? (1 Viewer)

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
In Internet Explorer 6, when I press "help-about internet explorer" it shows only 56 bit cypher strength.

Is 128 bit encryption available for IE6? I can't find it on MS.com. Or should I drop back to version 5?

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Mine says 128-bit, so I know it exists.

Banking online and some shopping does not work if you don't have 128.

The version is listed as 6.0.2600.0000

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm running IE6, and it's at 128 bits. I'm on XP now, but I had IE6 on 98 running at 128 bit security. Does MS still have that whole hangup about 128 bit encryption not being exported to certain countries? If so, it might not be detecting your location correctly. I'd say if all else fails an email to MS is in order, or at least a post in their newsgroups. They tend to be pretty well moderated.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
When I upgraded to IE6, I didn't even have to choose 128bit. It just automatically installed it as that.

Maybe it does have something to do with it wrongly detecting your location.

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
Camp - I need it to be able to pay college tuition online - the site keeps telling me I need 128 bit encryption, which I had with IE5, but lost when IE6 got installed.

JohnMM

Stunt Coordinator
Brian E - the link you gave me was perfect - fixed the problem and I'm back in business. Thanks.

And thanks to all for the help and info.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
have you folks noticed any funky "side effects" after installing ie6?

my windows explorer seems to be acting bizarre. when i create a new folder it doesn't automatically highlight the folder so i can change the name. i believe that started happening after i upgraded ie.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Ted, I had a similar problem after going to IE6 on W2K. The left pane of an Explorer window wouldn't update properly. I also got a 'lag' when the Explorer window was first opened.

In the end I gave up and went back to 5.01 SP2 which is still the best version IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks