What's new

IR Emitter/Repeater for my HT (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

While I am about to complete my first DIY project (follow this link for details http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=217901), I have a question regarding the IR Control from my HT Room to the Equipment Room.

I have a free SAT Coax cable and a data port/telephone cable (cat5e), behind my TV running into my Equipment closet. These are terminated connection that was done as part of my networking package when our house was constructed.

Is there a way to use the free data/tele port that I got and run my IR signals from between the rooms. If yes what do I have to buy and how do I do that connection? Something I am imagining (pardon me for my technical ignorance), a IR receiver sitting on top of my TV is connected to the data port using a RJ11/RJ45. This cat5e cable transmits the signal to the eqipment closet where I have a femaled connector connected to male end and the other end of the female connector is spliced and two/three wires go into the connecting block. Am I too off....?

Another thing I am thinking is Xantech 172-94/RP XTRA LINK2 KIT http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=182-460
In this case I can run it through the SAT Cable that is free and take it out from my equipment closet.

Anyone have experience with this Xantech setup?

Please throw some light.

Thanks

ScottATL

Stunt Coordinator
There is an expansion kit that goes along with that, I think it is XAN17294XRP, I ordered one for my neighbor, I'll ask him how it is working out.

Derek1

Agent
Well personally I would recommend a Xantech 291Kit Comes with a very responsive IR receiver and of course a power supply, connecting block and emitters.

Your cat-5 wire will work perfectly for this setup. You can either just cut off the RJ45 connector in the panel if necessary or use a coupler and extend the line. As for behind the tv simply cut off one end of a ethernet cable insert the other end into the plate. ****** WARNING****** There are two different standards for wiring RJ45 connecters A: normally used in phone systems. B: normally used in Data. It dosen't really matter for your use in an IR system as long as you have it the same on each side. If you plug in a ethernet cable with the end cut off and the jack is wired A (phone) then the all colors wont be the same on the other end.

The IR receiver will have three leads, power (12v), Ground, and signal. In my experience use Two of the cat5 wires for each. (IE orange/orange white for power, green/green white for ground, brown/brown white for signal. Connect the cat5 leads to the connecting block on the other end following the same pattern. * You will have one unused terminal on the connecting block labeled "Status". Plug in your emitter(s) and connect the power supply and Voila'.

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I installed the 291 kit a couple of weeks ago. The IR receiver has a 3 conductor mini-jack that plugs into the connecting block. If I remember correctly there was a label on the wire telling which color inside should be connected where on a connecting block if the cable needed to be extended. Of course, one would have to cut the plug off and and extend the ends.

I didn't have to extend any of the wiring since the emitters have approx. 9 foot leads. It has worked extremely well for me.

Rick

HowY

Grip
Are the emmiters hard fixed to the components
or can they mount to the surrounding cabnetry?

Looking for a IR distribution system that
does not have it's emmiters stuch to the
hardware...

Any ideas?

Rick Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
You have to stick the emitters over or close to the receiving eye of the equipment. The Xantech ones, while black, do allow IR through. They are relatively small (about 1/4 by 1/2 inches). The only thing that's noticeable is the red talkback when it receives an IR signal from the xantech receiver.

Rick

HowY

Grip
Thanks for the responce.

I'm looking for a repeater that does NOT cover the IR port
on the reciever.

Im using it as SOURCE for my zone equip and the Receiver
is a seperate system. Which I do not wish to "block"
the IR -OR- make another IR net for the reciever....

Guess then the question is can I cover the IR port
on my reciever and still use the remote without
adding in another target?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Reactivating this thread...

Can I use a mini stereo plug with pin on both the ends to connect one side to the connecting block and the other directly into my AVR and SAT/CAB box to transfer IR commands from another room through the remote control and IR receiver.

What is available in the market through the 291 Kit is one side mini plug and the other side is IR mouse flasher.

any help?

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm... the IR receiver for the Xantech 291Kit looks pretty big. I was kind of hoping for a receiver that is about as big as the mouse emitters. Any suggestions?

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Bought 291Kit - Xantech from hometech for 87 bucks. Spliced the receiver end and spliced a Cat5e cable. Connected Orange, Orange White with the Red 12V, Green, Green White with the White Ground, Blue, Blue White with Black IR signal. Plugged the RJ45 end into the Wall Jack. Walked to the equipment closet. Identified the Family Room wiring into the equipment rack. Connected the RJ45 plug into Radioshack's RJ45 Female-Female Extender. Spliced another Cat5e cable Connected Orange, Orange White to the 12V input, Green, Green White to Ground, Blue, Blue White to IR Signal In. Connected the included IR Mouse emitters to the equipments. Went back to the family room at a touch of button my cable is on. another remote, AVR is on, another remote DVD is on.

Its a song.. .the whole process took less than an hour. SWEEETTTT.....

Now, I am in the look out for a good Universal Remote (OOoops! did I say Pronto TSU 7000?... hmmm not able to justify myself to throw in 700 bucks for that. Help me Obe Van, you are my only hope!)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
... and Steve, I also thought the IR Receiver from 291Kit will be as big as the picture. But in reality as it is quite similar in length to a regular Credit Card and as thick as probably a ciggaratte pack.

It is cool.... I must say. Now my wife and I are wondering what all we can use the IR and X10 for....
mmm Honey! how about some curtains and lights for our family room controlled by X10-IR?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks