What's new

ipod preamp? (1 Viewer)

Craig Am

Auditioning
Real Name
Craig Am
Hi folks,

I've got a respectable home stereo system with ACI Sapphire III LE speakers, an Adire Subwoofer and and Integra 5.4 receiver. Most of my listening uses a low-mid Denon DVD player with the optical link into my receiver. Like the rest of humanity, however, I've been relying increasingly my ipod for quick access to music. Unfortunately, I've ripped most music in the basic MP3 default format into my computer.

My question is this: Has anyone taken steps for a quality connection between the ipod and the home stereo? Options would be the basic AV cable from the ear-phone jack of my ipod into the RCA plugs of my reciever (what I use now), an Apple dock, or something in the high-end such as a passive pre-amp from
these guys. http://www.psiberaudio.com/catalogue.htm

Please advise.
Thanks
-Craig Amrine

FeisalK

Screenwriter

Funny you should ask... go all the way with an iMod!! ;)
you lose the portability though, unless you get a proper head amp.

Anyway, somewhere on the iMod page are other reviews - presumably with some better connections and cables than standard

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Something like the Pocketdock (google it) would be a decent (non-permanent, less expensive) alternative to the iMod as it will also provide a true line-out from the iPod's expansion port.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
It really is not necessary to get a high cable to connect your ipod to the receiver. All you really need to be concerned with is a cable of good enough quality that you do not pick up any noise. I have used e $30 and a $10 cable. I cannot hear any difference between the two. For me the better way was to connect one of my pc outputs to my preamp. It is about a 45ft run (I used cat 6 cable) but it works fine. Now if I don't feel like loading the CD player I point and click using iTunes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks