What's new

Into the Woods (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I'm sad to report that my favorite song "No More" from Into the Woods, is no more.

Overall it is a good recording, not as good as the original broadway cast, but much better than the mess that was the Les Mis movie soundtrack.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Wayne_j said:
I'm sad to report that my favorite song "No More" from Into the Woods, is no more.

Overall it is a good recording, not as good as the original broadway cast, but much better than the mess that was the Les Mis movie soundtrack.
I still can't get over the fact that they thought it would be a good idea to try live on-set singing with THAT show. :(

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
The soundtrack was surprisingly better than I expected it to be with a few small quibbles. Meryl really surprised me. I knew she'd be good, but I had no idea she had those kinds of pipes. She REALLY knocks "Last Midnight: out of the ballpark. "Into the Woods" was done at a slower tempo than the B'Way cast recording, which I found a little disconcerting. I kept expecting them to pick up the pace! LOL. And it's nice to hear all the underscore. But I also felt that it was a bit disappointing, sound-wise. For a current recording, it sounds a trifle muffled. Certainly not as bright sounding as I expected.

I'm certainly less ambivalent about seeing the film now.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Indeed, it's been almost as long since I sat down in my university's listening library and first heard the soundtrack.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've often wondered why so many REAL singers cover Sondheim's songs. It can't be for the "forgettable" tunes or pithy lyrics. Everything I learned in life I learned from Sondheim's lyrics. Well, not everything, but he covers so much of the human experience that it's almost like taking a philosophy course (sugar coated in "forgettable" tunes, of course).

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris Pine's singing voice is much different than I expected from him.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
A very talented, extremely likeable cast makes this a thoroughly enjoyable musical, but it's Emily Blunt and Chris Pine -- especially Chris Pine -- who really steal the show.

A snippet from my full review:
In adapting the story for the big screen, director Rob Marshall and screenwriter James Lapine (who also penned the Broadway version) take certain liberties with the source material, including an excised musical number here and there, a new song or two and a few plot point alterations. Still, the resulting whirlwind of whimsy and song — which comes together perfectly in the mid-movie crowdpleaser, "Agony" — is remarkably faithful to the stage production. It's also undeniably appealing, thanks to its impressive production values and solid performances.As usual, Streep delivers another wonderful characterization — one that's over the top when it needs to be and nuanced where it counts — but it's Blunt and Pine who absolutely steal the show, wooing audiences with their charm, vocals and humor. Throw in a couple of actors as likeable as Corden and Kendrick into the mix, then factor in the immense singing talents of the young Crawford, and you have all the makings of an incredible ensemble cast that never fails to give the original Broadway actors a run for their money.
4 out of 5.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am a Luddite when it comes to musicals compared to many of you, but I just came from seeing this with my family and we all really enjoyed it.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Mark Walker said:
I am a Luddite when it comes to musicals compared to many of you, but I just came from seeing this with my family and we all really enjoyed it.
It's Sondheim's only other "approachable" mainstream musical besides Sweeney Todd, and thought Burton/Depp dropped the ball on that one.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Isn't A Little Night Music approachable? The film was terribly botched, but it works beautifully on stage, and I saw the original production, plus countless others. It would take a real butcher to "ruin" Smiles of a Summer Night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks