What's new

internet explorer question. (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
so, when you go to a forum section you see a list of all the threads.
depending on the forum, you either see little envelopes or folders on the left side.
on the right side you see a name of the last poster to the thread and an arrow.

well i have to refresh several times or right click and show picture to get the folder/envelope and sometimes the arrow to come up.
sometimes i see a red x but mostly just a blank space.
this is only the last week or so, and on any forum i visit.

anyone know what would cause this?

i don't have add blocking on and i am using xp.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
This has come up before. One possible factor is that IE definitely has a bug where it doesn't cache the images, so it has to fetch each one every time, greatly increasing the odds it will fail. (Some combination of what IE reports it will accept and the headers in the response. I stumbled on it and posted the details here a few months ago, but there was no interest.)

//Ken

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
tried it.

nope i don't like it.

besides thats not a fix.
ie was working about 2 or 3 weeks ago now it isn't.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Tony,

I would agree agree with John B. on the browser comment as I've become a Firebird convert, but that browser too has a few issues on some sites I frequent. Nothing is perfect I guess.

IF this problem is a caching issue, is it beneficial to clear the cache and history out on occasion?

I tend to clean out my "dirty laundry" every few days and have never experienced what you describe when using Explorer in the past.

Much Luck,
Charles

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
chas, i do that everyday.
i have used remove programs to "fix" it.
i scanned for any spyware using Ad-aware and Spybot.

someone suggested this.....

btw.. just out of curiousity.. have you ran the fix for the welchia virus in the past couple months? if not, you might want to try that as well..
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/FixWelch.exe

i have no idea what that is but i use norton and always update that and run it.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Try the Disk Cleanup function. It might not be an issue of cache as much as of the Temporary Internet Files area being full.

Jonny K

Second Unit
I fought with IE for a while, and then a friend introduced me to Opera. Once you get used to it, Opera is significantly better than IE. Much faster, easier to use, and it's got mouse gestures! (wiggle the mouse to perform commands). Unfortunatly, some websites are built only for IE and opera doesn't work properly on them, but for the most part Opera is all I use.

www.opera.com

Jonny K.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well if the download page would work i would at least try it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok got it .

but it does the same thing only worse.
plus some things when they do load arent lined up like they should be.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Tony,

You said you have tried the Mozilla browser, but did not like it, which is fine. Did you have the same situation with that browser??

This problem is strange. If it's a consistent problem and it appears that it is, perhaps a video card driver may be a contributor? Whatever the problem is, it seems to be consistent and probably not an individual browser issue, but a universal problem somewhere in your system.

The video card driver is a long shot and to me it makes little sense, but perhaps you could try a reinstall. It's worth a try. I've seen stranger things happen with these damn things.

Also, another thought. Do you have a Java plug in icon in your control panel?? Again, a long shot, but you also can clear the cache in there too. I've found sometimes the most bizzare paths can fix the problem, even though they don't make any sense. My friend calls it the FM theory.

Let us know how this turns out. I'd like to file an answer to this one in my memory for future reference.

Charles

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ok i just uninstalled the nvidia driver and restarted so we'll see.
i also removed something called soundmax, but that also took away the little volume thing in the bar on the bottom.
also got rid of opera.

i'll see how it looks now.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Tony,

You sound like an asute guy with hardware, so don't be insulted when I write make sure you have the latest driver for the card too.

Also, in IE, you might want to go in there under Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab and click the default icon to reset everything.

Also, try this link and see IF there is something you have not done. It's frustrating when this stuff happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;283807

You also may want to try a system restore if you can remember the last time the browser worked properly.

Jonny K

Second Unit
If Opera is doing that for you then you know it's not the browser that's at fault. But what could it be? Notice any issues with your internet connection? Does it do this for all websites, or just the forum? Are you at home on a stand-alone computer or at a workplace that may use proxy servers? (a more sophisticated network setup).

Jonny K.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
no problems with the internet connection. cable internet.
it only does this on forums like htf or dvdtalk, avs any forum.
at home stand alone pc.

thanks chas, but i'm no were near as astute or computer savvy as it may seem.

when i went to that link i got dizzy from seeing all that stuff.
but i tried it all, still no luck.

i may need to do a restore but i probably have to go back at least 3 weeks.

oh the only thing i didntn think of until you mentioned it was to try to update the driver.

Presario nVidia Unified Graphics Driver for Windows 2000/XP 2001-10-25
well that is the latest driver on compaq/hp's driver page.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Stumbled on this topic and had to throw out there that I too get the same exact problem mentioned ..Using HTF, AVS mostly.

Never understood why it happens.

I have everything updated on my PC..using IE6 w/ W2K

Doesn't happen when I use my work PC...(using IE6 and W2K as well)

Never really bothered me as long as I can read the threads etc, but strange none the less.

Alfer

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
IE6 definitely does this but in my own experience it's more where the IE has been upgraded to 6 rather than starting with 6 like on XP.

I don't believe there is a fix for it, but if anyone knows of one I'd be interested in seeing it because we have a few calls in at work for this very issue :)

The cache never really works properly in IE either. Go back in the history a few pages and it always ends up reloading stuff. Do the same in Firebird/Firefox and the page comes back up instantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks