Interested in "Family Friendly" edits of DVDs? You have GOT to see this!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marty Christion, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

Even if you're not interested, this is the most hilarious demo I've ever seen. I think the product, MovieMask, has been discussed here before. Basically, it allows you download custom graphic overlays to cover up the "naughty bits" in films.
    Everyone knows how they feel about this, so let's not turn this into a discussion of "edited" films. Let's just sit back, relax, and enjoy Kate Winslet as the Little Mermaid [​IMG]
    http://moviemask.com/demo01.wmv

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I hope this company gets a nice big fat lawsuit from the likes of James Cameron, Woody Allen, Rob Reiner, and others.
    This is the worst bastardization I've seen ever done to movies! If you object to something like The Princess Bride (which is suitible for all ages, IMO!), don't show the fuc*ing movie!
    Besides, if they really wanted to show off their FilmF*cker, they should have used a clip from Eyes Wide Shut.
    I've never seen something so offensive in my life as much as this...
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

4. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Lawsuits not because of legal reasons, but defamation of movies.

If any of these filmmakers knew this was being done, they'd probably arrange something to keep them from tampering with their films.

6. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

This is the most offensive thing I've ever seen!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Only in America...

7. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Larry King supports this?!?!?! Oh Larry! Why? Why?

8. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

That is absolutely hysterical.

I'd guess that this is some sort of elaborate April Fool's joke, but I seem to remember hearing about this product on the HTF before...

9. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

How can this possibly be legal? It doesn't matter that they're not modifying the DVD itself. They are interfering with the proper delivery of the movie on that DVD and are therefore making unauthorized edits to the movie.
    [​IMG] This is about as stupid as the idiots in the newsgroups some time ago who thought that DVD manufacturers should make a DVD player with a joystick so that J6P can reframe a movie on the fly.

10. John_Berger

By the way, if this is an elaborate April Fool's joke, then it's been in the planning stage for a long time. This domain name was registered back in 1999.
    WHOIS results
    Domain Name: MOVIEMASK.COM
    Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Stagg, Ronald (RSL591) [email protected]
    Trilogy Studios
    45 West 10000 South
    Suite 101
    Sandy, UT 84070
    801-304-9333 (FAX) 801-304-7007
    Billing Contact:
    Clayton, David (DC22955) [email protected]
    Nova Group, Inc.
    1905 West 4700 South
    PMB 204
    Salt Lake City , UT 84118
    801-963-5432
    Record last updated on 31-Jan-2002.
    Record expires on 16-Oct-2003.
    Record created on 16-Oct-1999.
    Database last updated on 31-Mar-2002 22:21:00 EST.
    Domain servers in listed order:
    NS1.ALETIA.COM216.118.67.98
    NS2.ALETIA.COM216.118.67.99

11. Rich Stone

Rich Stone Stunt Coordinator

If they're not modifying the DVD/Film itself, I don't see how it would be illegal. Guess I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms - I thought it was kinda funny (although lame in some cases). Again in the same vain as the TVGuardian, as long as it's optional, doesn't alter the original media, and gives parents more options then I guess you can call me a supporter. Just my opinion.....last I checked we were free to voice them[​IMG]
    Regards,
    Rich

12. derek

derek Second Unit

Unfortunately though the technology and capabilities appear excellent the only medium for deliver at present is the PC DVD system. Which I estimate is definitely less than 5% of the targeted audience. However there is mention of Xbox, MAC and '16 million next generation DVD players.' Which...I'm guessing refers to the Playstation 2 (why it isn't clearly spelled out I have no idea.) Moviemask is a big step closer to easy user controlled entertainment. If the 'Home Director' software is powerful and flexible enough I'd buy it in a second (along with a higher end PC.) Again though the majority of consumers desiring this product have no solution given use of dvd standalone players (which tvguardian.com is about the only parital solution I know of and only mutes audio.)

How can there be a law about "interfering with the proper delivery of the movie" on DVD in my own home? I don't have the rights to watch a program any way I so choose? So that means big brother would need to take away my mute button, fast forward button, chapter skip button, audio selection button, caption selection button etc etc?

13. John_Berger

14. Joshua Clinard

Joshua Clinard Screenwriter

Joshua Clinard
    Hey, those Domain Name Servers look familliar! Hey, that's MY webhost. I'm ashamed that Widescreen Advocate is on the host as Movie Mask! Aletia should kick them off. I wonder which machine they are on...

This is my 500th post!

15. John_Berger

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. derek

derek Second Unit

I see your point John whereby studios can allow or disallow certain features on DVD. I guess my point is I should be able to watch/view/read copyrighted material as I please in my home. If I chooose to FF a VCR tape...so be it. If I choose to hit the mute button durling offensive dialog...so be it. If I choose to skip a few pages in a book...so be it. I don't see Moviemask crossing the line but I think this company would be in trouble if the were acutally selling the edited versions. But, since they are only selling 'templates' and tools (not actual modified movies) that are only activated by the user to view material in the way he/she desires...it would seem to fall under fair use.

18. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Good, god! I never, ever though they would make it this far, but this trailer/demo is hilarious! [​IMG]
    I object strongly to the censorship they are trying to promote, and have always felt that the parent/superviosor should determine what ia aproprate for whom to view.
    That being said, they sure picked some wierd stuff to modify. The Matrix, with fireworks exploding out of people's chests? Can't you see little johnny trying to make fireworks explode out of his friends chest? After all, the theory is they see all this violence/sex on TV then want to duplicate it themselves... Oh, and Alyssa Milano was the model for Ariel, not Kate Winslett. [​IMG]
    Finally, I loved the sneak peak of AOTC they threw in. Wait, what do you mean those were not lightsabers? That wasn't Anikin and Dooku?

19. David Brown Eyes

David Brown Eyes Second Unit

[​IMG] You know what..... this is silly in the extreme... but it also sounds like alot of fun if you look at it correctly.
    Was that Mask of Zorro where they replaced the swords with lightsabers [​IMG]? Is it silly yea it is.
    I am haveing a hard time believeing this is little more than a joke after watching the demo.... Now the poduct has been mentioned before but the demo..... I question

20. John_Berger