What's new

Integra DTR 30.2 - Opinions anyone? (1 Viewer)

Alex Papas

Auditioning
This unit was suggested by a local dealer as an alternative to the Pioneer Elite VSX 32. He carries both.

It's about the same price and has the pre outs I want in order to use my external amps already in the system.

Any comments generally, ease of setup, etc

Thanks in advance

Alex Papas

Auditioning
Well I guess no-one has any salient info. Regardless, I checked out online reviews and got the unit this morning.

It took a couple of hours to install it into the current system. I cleaned up a lot of stuff that was in he rack but useless anymore, like a super VHS deck and removed a lot of obsolete wiring.

The Integra acts as a preamp with all of the speakers currently connected to their own amps. Adcoms and a Rotel 6 channel for the surrounds.

It took a while to set the specific volume levels of each speaker and to configure the system based on speaker placement and distance but within a couple of hours it was operating just perfectly.

The home has a totally dedicated theater room without any multi room setup and the whole system is operated via a Philips Pronto touchscreen. Old tech, but it's so simple. One button switches it all on, which is important for the kids in house. I simply reprogrammed the Pronto to use the integra commands instead of the Lexicon and it worked perfectly.

This is a terrific preamp and sound processor and I bought the lowest priced Integra that had Pre outs. I'm sure the internal amps are just fine but I have no need for them. It's nice to have HDMI capability if I want to add any video sources but right now the Bluray and the Sat box video are directly connected to the projector.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I think the 30.1 is close to the Onkyo 608, which is hugely popular, with a few things added to it that were saved for the 708 in the Onkyo linup. The Integra also comes with a three year warranty which is real nice and it's much better looking than it's Onkyo cousins IMO.

I might have chosen the Pioneer Elite 32 myself, mostly because I have other Elite equipment, but I'm glad you're happy with the Integra.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I actually recently got a used Integra DTC 9.8 (at a really good deal the guy just wanted HDMI 1.4) pre/pro for the main system as I'm going to a 2 channel preamp with HT Bypass. I was impressed for home theater to the point that I bought a refurb. Onkyp 1000 for the secondary basement system. I am doing 8.1 down there. I had a Pioneer 1120 that was not that old (and I've moved it to a 4.1 computer system) and I think the Onkyo sounds worlds better than the 1120 as a receiver for movies and music. it's got a bit more power and the digital amps did not sound all that good in a very large room in my set-up. I think the Pioneer was great at the price point I got it for. I have a PS3 I used for Blu-Ray down there and had an old Marantz SR7300 OSE and with the exception of the lack of HDMI, I would have been happy to still use that (I'll find use for it somewhere) and just wanted something newer. I got the Marantz in a trade for stuff that literally cost me next to nothing and used it for about 7 years.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I agree the Onkyo would have a stronger amp section but I've had several Onkyo's and Pioneers over the last few years and while I will say there is a difference in the sound between receivers I found it to be very, very subtle rather than worlds apart. How Audyssey and MCACC affect the sound after running them is a whole different thing. But these auto setup and eq things have never worked very well for me, except for H/K's EZSetEQ on an old 435 and then only one time. I will concede that Audyssey is probably more effective than MCACC but the 30.2 uses 2EQ (5 band of eq) and not MultiEQ while the 32/1120 uses a more advanced version of MCACC with 9 bands of EQ so I'm guessing the difference between the two wouldn't be so great. Oh, and the 1120/32 don't have Digital ICE amps. Only the SC series uses them.

Anyway, I have a Pioneer Elite 94txh/BDP-05/DV58av combo in my family room and it's a wonderful system. The biggest draw-back to Pioneers is they only allow one crossover setting for all speaker groups. This really puzzles me .

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Gene I snagged an Onkyo tx-nr1008 refurb for the secondary basement system. I'm doing 8.1 down there and I still might get a source component or two down the road. I recently sold an old Micromega DAC I had down there. I have a (Modwright) modded BDP-83 in the main system and a plain old BDP-93 in the bedroom system for now. I also have an old Oppo DV-980H which for now is the hi-rez source going into the Onkyo receiver. I don't use the basement much for serious listening so an upgrade is not a rush or a big priority. I have a PS3 and a Samsung 2500 Blu-Ray player down there now to watch movies. The Pioneer 1120 is fine on the computer 4.1 system where I don't have a huge room and a 25.5 inch monitor and I picked up the bottom of the line Sony with a Costco coupon for Blu-Ray and it also passes DSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks