What's new

INSTALLERS IN NEED OF HELP!!! HDMI CAT6 EXTENDER QUESTIONS (1 Viewer)

SVTINSTALLERS

Auditioning
Real Name
MANNY SANDOVAL
OK,

So I am running dual CAT6 cables that are around 50' in length to a VANCO HDMI CAT6 EXTENDER, this is connecting to the "monitor out" of a Yamaha RX-V765 receiver into a Samsung LCD. The problem is that there is no picture!! I can get sound from the 5.1 surround we installed but no pic from the receiver to the TV.

For some reason when I hook it up directly to the COX cable box the picture and sound works fine but when I plug it into the monitor out of the Yamaha it pics keeps dropping the picture!! I tried replacing the HDMI extender, checking my RJ45 connections, switching monitors, everything!!

The VANCO extender Im using is not plug in powered, so my thoughts are that it is a piece of crap and I need to get a powered HDMI Extender that will push the 5volts consistently, but I don't know if anyone has used these things and what is the best remedy to fix my problem.

Can you not use CAT5 extenders with A/V receivers? IF any one could help I would so much appreciate it, I've been racking my brain on this job for 2 days and now the customer is frustrated that we cannot get it to work

THANKS!!

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
You never want to use any type of unpowered repeater or extender with HDMI. It attempts to use the voltage on the cable to power it. Its usually just causes problems.

conuronton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Hi, I hope your problem is resolved by now, but I used that same Vanco part tonight and no picture. It was a frustrating install (far from home) so I must go back.... I even had two different sets of cables and hdmi extenders to mix and match and still nothing. My distance is 25' of cat5e cable. Short of both sets of cables and baluns being bad(no verification tool), I am really thinking the 46" Pana plasma is not seeing the required voltage to turn on HDMI. There must be a reason the Vanco is $90 and the Key Digital is $200+.... Sony BD only available source, so that was from Wal Mart, so I wouldn't be supprised if it had a problem! I even ran a composite out of the DVD/BD (worked) to make sure all the video settings were correct. Any thoughts?

Curt

bmarcuso

Auditioning
Real Name
Barry
I have used a couple different kind of cat5e/cat6 to hdmi baluns(fat cat, all the monoprice ones) and it has something to do with the handshake between the receiver and the baluns. You can use baluns directly from source to tv, but not through a receiver. I've done a couple installs using the baluns and it has bit me in the butt. I now run all high-end hdmi cables under 40ft. If over 40ft, I add a inline amplifier. If anyone knows of cat6 to hdmi baluns that work with a receiver I would really like to know. I'm gonna try Electronic Solutions baluns next to see if they work. Little spendy at over $500, but I need a solution.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
the ones we've used at work were powered, and they've been fine.

the other catch, and I don't know how this is handled, is the HDCP. Our content is unprotected content. I don't know if these dual-Cat5 extenders extend the HDCP stuff or not.

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks