What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Inside Mill Creek's Bewitched full-series release (1 Viewer)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I will always prefer I Dream of Jeannie for a few very specific reasons:

1) I saw Jeannie first.
2) It had the NASA angle that appealed to my sci-fi fandom
3) It had a more appealing leading Man
4) It had more madcap energy
5) It had a stronger reliance on physical comedy
6) It focused less on the female lead's family and more on the mortal's REACTIONS which leads to
7) It's a much funnier series with more belly laughs than gentle chuckles

Bewitched was indeed a Civil Rights message show which was obviously more socially important. It may have had better written episodes, but it was still a repetitive series like it's "sister" series. It also had heavier lifting to do. I Dream of Jeannie was just a comedy. And it did that extremely well.

Bewitched had a much larger rotating ensemble of supporting characters - but most weren't regulars and came in and out. And for a best friend as well as a boss, Larry Tate was a genuine d-hole. I never understood why Darrin would have the guy over for dinner voluntarily. Then again, Dr. Bellows would show up at social occasions while still trying to nab Major Nelson at something.

Bewitched also lost a few supporting actors to their own mortality and had to recast, which always changes things. I Dream of Jeannie had a smaller ensemble and, as such, they were there EVERY WEEK. So they developed a stronger chemistry. Paul Lynde, Marion Lorne, Alice Ghostly, Maurice Evans, etc...were all great actors and could be very funny (Lynde was always an acquired tase in my house that we never acquired), but they were "irregulars" and there to cause a problem and leave. Dr. Bellows. Roger Healey, Amanda, etc were part of the weekly ensemble and would cause problems as well as react to them. Totally different energy and a much more fun feeling of family.

The leading men: Dick York was shrill and often mean. Dick Sargent was softer and more loving, but not particularly funny. Recasting Darrin changed the series, which made remade episodes interesting to compare.

Larry Hagman wasn't simply a straight man, he was the driving comic force of the series and the true lead (the "I" in the series title). He and Daily, once they found their niche, boosted the slender plots with their classic comedic timing. Add Hayden Rorke into the mix and you have a classic comedy team which balanced Eden's sweet antics. But it was Hagman who held that show together when the scripts were letting everyone down.

I - like - Bewitched. I - love - I Dream of Jeannie. It is indeed a happier show and it's often much funnier thanks to the talents of the cast. There was a lot of ad-libbing going on with Hagman and Daily and their energy, along with Eden's charm and beauty (also costume) saved what would have been just another minor footnote in TV history.
I think your have the Darrins mixed up - York was the first one I found the second Darrin nasty and hard funny though never understood why Sam never told her mother leave my husband alone but again then where would be no show

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I think your have the Darrins mixed up - York was the first one I found the second Darrin nasty and hard funny though never understood why Sam never told her mother leave my husband alone but again then where would be no show
Nah, that's just how I took him. York was shrill and manic most of the time I saw him. Sargent seemed more lovey, while stern without being shrill. York, though, was funnier. He was a master at the stammer and his rapid fire delivery was great.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Nah, that's just how I took him. York was shrill and manic most of the time I saw him. Sargent seemed more lovey, while stern without being shrill. York, though, was funnier. He was a master at the stammer and his rapid fire delivery was great.
I found York and Moorhead were the show they also used the great Columbia stock company to get Moorhead was a real coup Paul Lynde Maurice Evans etc all top actors interestingly I think Moorhead deal was she appeared in blocks of episodes each season with time off in between so she could do other projects after York left the series went down hill Montgomery and Asher still married only took the extra season for the money

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm slowly working my way through the show over time. It took me a while to warm up to it as I was always a fan of The Other Show and preferred that style. But I think think the appeal is always going to be with the performers. I find Alice Pearce to be the more enjoyable Glady Kravitz than Sandra Gould. Her facial expressions and how she reacts to defeat are classic. Sandra Gould, though, was kinda adorable.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I'm slowly working my way through the show over time. It took me a while to warm up to it as I was always a fan of The Other Show and preferred that style. But I think think the appeal is always going to be with the performers. I find Alice Pearce to be the more enjoyable Glady Kravitz than Sandra Gould. Her facial expressions and how she reacts to defeat are classic. Sandra Gould, though, was kinda adorable.
Alice Pearce was great she hid her illness from the cast no one knew how ill she was Sandra Gould was great too the series featured great talent

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
What a great interview! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...929FA30293D4E64AA1E5929&view=detail&FORM=VIRE so much behind the scenes

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
long but Interesting article.But no don't get in the bottle
I've gone through his entire 5 season "Best of" series for IDOJ and really enjoyed it. HIs points are well taken. Obviously he loves Bewitched and will go to his grave calling it the superior show. And in some ways he's absolutely right. Bewitched was a "message" show. It had more content, it was a bit more adult (as adult as that kind of show can be) and it had an impressive roster of rotating supporting cast members.

His analysis of IDOJ was pretty much spot on, it was one of the most intelligent looks at the show I've ever seen. In the end, Bewitched wanted you to look deeper and make you think while entertaining you. IDOJ just wanted you to have a good time. Yet, both shows live on endlessly.

They both did their jobs well. Pick the best of each series and you can't go wrong.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I've gone through his entire 5 season "Best of" series for IDOJ and really enjoyed it. HIs points are well taken. Obviously he loves Bewitched and will go to his grave calling it the superior show. And in some ways he's absolutely right. Bewitched was a "message" show. It had more content, it was a bit more adult (as adult as that kind of show can be) and it had an impressive roster of rotating supporting cast members.

His analysis of IDOJ was pretty much spot on, it was one of the most intelligent looks at the show I've ever seen. In the end, Bewitched wanted you to look deeper and make you think while entertaining you. IDOJ just wanted you to have a good time. Yet, both shows live on endlessly.

They both did their jobs well. Pick the best of each series and you can't go wrong.
There was a competition between IDOJ and Bewitched Bewitched was always looking out that Jeanie did not steal ideas

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Interesting article indeed. I had recently re-watched Bewitched on the Sony complete series DVD set. i had not seen it in years. When it was on a recent binge on Decades or MeTV, it inspired me to get the series. I can see it was very much about something. At that time I had purchased the Mill Creek version of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, but the boxes for the DVD sets were partially crushed. So Amazon refunded the purchase and let me keep the discs. Then I found a still sealed Bewitched Sony box set. I’ve been meaning to get around to re-seeing IDOJ. The Mill Creek DVD’s looked like they are not damaged.

About Bewitched, I watched the episode A Vision of Sugar Plums, the Christmas episode from the first season. It was interesting to see Bill Daily in a small role at the end of the episode. He was playing the husband of a couple who came to meet a boy they are going to adopt. He was so low key and timid. To me, he’ll always be Howard Borden on The Bob Newhart Show. :)

One last thing, as a kid, I remember being at a day care center which was really a house in South San Francisco where a lady ran a business to watch kids. In one room there was a TV on and it had Bewitched on. I never forgot that and I remember thinking it was odd to see Bewitched on TV in the daytime. I guess it was being aired during daytime while it was still running first run episodes at night.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Interesting article indeed. I had recently re-watched Bewitched on the Sony complete series DVD set. i had not seen it in years. When it was on a recent binge on Decades or MeTV, it inspired me to get the series. I can see it was very much about something. At that time I had purchased the Mill Creek version of Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie, but the boxes for the DVD sets were partially crushed. So Amazon refunded the purchase and let me keep the discs. Then I found a still sealed Bewitched Sony box set. I’ve been meaning to get around to re-seeing IDOJ. The Mill Creek DVD’s looked like they are not damaged.

About Bewitched, I watched the episode A Vision of Sugar Plums, the Christmas episode from the first season. It was interesting to see Bill Daily in a small role at the end of the episode. He was playing the husband of a couple who came to meet a boy they are going to adopt. He was so low key and timid. To me, he’ll always be Howard Borden on The Bob Newhart Show. :)

One last thing, as a kid, I remember being at a day care center which was really a house in South San Francisco where a lady ran a business to watch kids. In one room there was a TV on and it had Bewitched on. I never forgot that and I remember thinking it was odd to see Bewitched on TV in the daytime. I guess it was being aired during daytime while it was still running first run episodes at night.
I think a lot of shows had reruns in daytime while prime time new shows still aired I Love Lucy did it I think maybe the Beverly Hillbillies too - You know these show are good because they have never left the air - I just wish WPIX would go back to classic tv! They are also antenna tv but WPIX was tops way back! The early season of Bewitched were great amazing how much drinking the characters did!

Last edited:

SuperClark

Second Unit
Real Name
Clark
Hey who are you? .Its not particularly clever but I like when Endora calls Darrin
'Durwood'. And Uncle Arthur is always fun.Paul Lynde was great.

1672164729623.png

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There was a competition between IDOJ and Bewitched Bewitched was always looking out that Jeanie did not steal ideas
Well they weren't looking too hard since it happened more than once. They also shared the back lot and props and sometimes sound effects. To the untrained eye, they could have been the same series. It would have been funny to have a cross over....

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher

When I was in second and third grade I would go home for lunch. Because Bewitched was on! It was still on in prime time, my Mom and I would watch it then also.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Kevin, that’s a good memory! 😀. I looked it up, according to Wikipedia and the website below, Bewitched ran on daytime from 1968 to 1973 on ABC. And on Saturday mornings too. I did not know that.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
Hey Kevin, that’s a good memory! 😀. I looked it up, according to Wikipedia and the website below, Bewitched ran on daytime from 1968 to 1973 on ABC. And on Saturday mornings too. I did not know that.

Yes, I remember Bewitched was on Sat mornings. Later that changed to Partridge Family.

Another memory is that, in Los Angeles, Bewitched was in syndication on channel 11. At some point, that changed to channel 5 and they elected to show the B&W episodes also, which channel 11 had not. Then it went back to channel 11, color episodes only. I lost all hope of ever seeing the B&W episodes again and it was a glorious rediscovery for me when Nick at Nite ran them in the 1990s.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Love the chevy commercials are they on the dvd's

I've recently seen closing credits of Bewitched on Antenna TV which, instead of the usual Samantha drawing, a drawing of Samantha and Darrin, similar to the Chevrolet shot except in one episode they were sitting on a cloud ("Samantha's Wedding Present," 5.01) or sitting on a flying carpet ("One Touch of Midas," 5.17). Never noticed that on reruns before.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
York and Sargent both had bluster - Sargent was nastier interestingly Moorhead loved York they made the show their chemistry was like Booth and DeFore in Hazel Sadly in reflected in the ratings after York left
It's "Moorehead." Another misspelling shows up on the jacket of an old Columbia Tristar VHS release of Dick York Christmas episodes I bought back in 1992. Right on the back: Agnes Morehead as Endora.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I've recently seen closing credits of Bewitched on Antenna TV which, instead of the usual Samantha drawing, a drawing of Samantha and Darrin, similar to the Chevrolet shot except in one episode they were sitting on a cloud ("Samantha's Wedding Present," 5.01) or sitting on a flying carpet ("One Touch of Midas," 5.17). Never noticed that on reruns before.

I know they are not on the Sony DVDs; cannot say as to the Mill Creek,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks