What's new

Inside Mill Creek's Bewitched full-series release (1 Viewer)

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
Your basing your whole premise on the Mill Creek print for #15 being the original unrestored print, you are mistaken, the reason it looks the same as the colorized version with the color turned off is because this Mill Creek print is exactly the same restored colorized print with the color turned off, only it has been done for you without you having to do it directly as you have to with the colorized version.

In this case opening has been modified but that does not reflect on the print to which the opening has been attached.

By original closing i assume you are referring to the SG and ABC logos as the end credits have long been available since the early 1990's, and in original unrestored versions i might add.

The point is that Sony used a colorized turn the color off grey scale for their B/W option on seasons one & two not the original print, if you have the colorized version & turn the color off then you get the exact same version as the B/W one that Sony offered, even though it is very different then the original version seen in the 1960's which you can see on the CH VHS tapes

If you want to see the difference between the restored colorized prints with the color turned off that is then presented as the B/W versions, watch the Columbia House & Screen Gem tapes which are as the show was originally seen in the vintage sense with the same aesthetic quality's that were seen back in the 1960's.

The B/W Sony and Mill Creek sets are not an accurate replication of how Bewitched was originally seen in B/W in 1964 to 1966, if you want the original shadows, lighting, witchy feel, contrast and visual feel then you need to see original studio 16 mm prints or the Columbia House & Screen Gems VHS tapes which were done before the show was restored & remastered and used old 35 mm master prints that were made during the shows actual run from Fall 1964 thru the spring of 1966.

I have over 130 Bewitched original studio 16 mm print episodes and most of the B/W ones, seeing is believing.!

Of course if you get the first two seasons in Color you get them in B/W as well, all you have to do is turn off the color on your remote control for your TV & it is exactly the same grey scale as the B/W sets are.

So you really don't need to record or buy the shows again in B/W as you will have them already on your Color DVD's with the color turned off.

So i am a proponent of the Colorized episodes as it is a Two for One deal in effect, both Color & B/W.

If you have an old VHS tape of a B/W episode from CH or SG from the early 1990's compare that to the Mill Creek or Sony DVD version of that Episode.

I did watching them and it is pretty obvious to me.

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
Sony did not make two different masters,they did not have to, they restored the old negatives for all 8 seasons once, then colorized the B/W seasons, then did NOT use the orig. negatives or create a new set of negatives from them, they simply took a colorized print of an episode,grey scaled it and then used it to dub production copies from, so cost was not an issue.

This is all explained in the Japanese DVD special feature extra on those sets.

Bottom line i have the original negative print version from CH & SG VHS tapes as well as actual original 16 mm prints of the B/S episodes and the Sony B/W version and the difference is striking and it is very obvious that they were done as i have outlined for you all.

They look different in a very pronounced way so any other argument becomes very moot.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
It's the same principle. You look at colorized shows and you know they are colorized so you're looking for that and judging it. The same way I'd be looking at b&w shows that I knew were in color and wondering what the colors might be.

No... colorized look colorized. Plain and simple. No gradations. It's pretty obvious, at least to me.

By the way, you do know that with the age of computers, technicians are tinkering around with the color of everything in movies nowadays. That means a whole lot of things in every movie you see are now are colorized.
But don't let that worry you.

Big difference between something filmed in black and white and colorized and something filmed in color and put through post-production. :rolleyes:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No need for them to purchase both and waste money when the colorized version gives them both.
Sure there is. I grew tired of turning the color off/down for those first two seasons and then having to run it back up/turn it on for the next show I watched. I finally purchased the BW sets to avoid that hassle as I absolutely do not like, or want to watch, the colorized versions.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
No... colorized look colorized. Plain and simple. No gradations. It's pretty obvious, at least to me.

Big difference between something filmed in black and white and colorized and something filmed in color and put through post-production. :rolleyes:

At least "to you" I guess.

Something is filmed in color and the color is changed in post production. Hmmm.
Are you saying that changing the color in something shot in color isn't colorizing?
How about re-colorizing?

Some period films have colorized stock footage in certain scenes. Is that to your liking?
(Some of the Hell's Angels premiere in The Aviator, for example.)

Why don't you just think of colorization as post-production?

Bottom line is, some people don't like it, some do.
So why keep carping about your preference as though others are wrong?

Was there this much of a fuss about Reader's Digest condensed books?

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Larry, I’m not sure your posts today are aimed at me. But thanks for all the details. I get what you’re saying. Excuse me if my posts and questions were not clear.

My main question was whether the Sony sets might have a video compression advantage over the Mill Creek sets since there are 12 episodes per disc, and the series is spread over 22 discs verse Sony using 33 discs. I have to believe the Sony will look better with less compression.

Granted the black and white episodes might be less affected in the Mill Creek sets since there’s no color information to compress. They do look good. Though a little wavery in sharpness. The one color episode I saw on the Mill Creek set was very noisy. Almost terrible.

I think I’ll go ahead and order the 2013 Sony set from eBay that has the 33 discs. If I want to watch the first and second season In black and white, I’ll watch the Mill Creek set and or turn off the color on the Sony set. I’ve never tried that before in my TV set. Maybe I can do a preset.

I’ll do the same and try to find a Sony set for I Dream of Jeanie. And use the same plan for the B&W episodes.

Thanks!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
At least "to you" I guess.
So why keep carping about your preference as though others are wrong?
Was there this much of a fuss about Reader's Digest condensed books?

How obnoxious. I don't keep "carping" , I was simply responding to your comment, which I will no longer do.

I could not care less about Reader's Digest.

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
How obnoxious. I don't keep "carping" , I was simply responding to your comment, which I will no longer do.

I could not care less about Reader's Digest.

I guess my remarks did come off that way to you, so I will apologize for that. When someone expresses an opinion that seems to leave no room for argument, I do tend to respond that way, but I'll try to work on that.

Larry Tate

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Larry Tate
Hey Larry, I’m not sure your posts today are aimed at me. But thanks for all the details. I get what you’re saying. Excuse me if my posts and questions were not clear.

My main question was whether the Sony sets might have a video compression advantage over the Mill Creek sets since there are 12 episodes per disc, and the series is spread over 22 discs verse Sony using 33 discs. I have to believe the Sony will look better with less compression.

Granted the black and white episodes might be less affected in the Mill Creek sets since there’s no color information to compress. They do look good. Though a little wavery in sharpness. The one color episode I saw on the Mill Creek set was very noisy. Almost terrible.

I think I’ll go ahead and order the 2013 Sony set from eBay that has the 33 discs. If I want to watch the first and second season In black and white, I’ll watch the Mill Creek set and or turn off the color on the Sony set. I’ve never tried that before in my TV set. Maybe I can do a preset.

I’ll do the same and try to find a Sony set for I Dream of Jeanie. And use the same plan for the B&W episodes.

Thanks!

They were more in regards to addressing the whole issue from a historical context of the source of various Bewitched DVD releases so that fans in general will know the actual facts of where they originated from.

Because of the compression issue caused by so many more ep. per disc with Mill creek compared to Sony i would forgo the former and obtain the latter if i was you so as to maximize your viewing experience.

The compression issue would be just as present in B/W as it would be in color i believe.

tempest21

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I've not been a fan of Mill Creek. The idea of cramming as many episodes onto a single DVD as you can just to save an extra dollar or two in production is a poor strategy. Personally, I have the Sony set of the complete series and I still watch it from time to time. It's the better value, for sure.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have the Sony and Mill Creek sets of both shows. I prefer the Sony for the clarity, but I LOVE the Mill Creeks for IDOJ for the single stupid reason that the Screen Gems logos were restored. They were such a strong part of my childhood, the series was never the same without them. So, yay...

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
What we still miss on DVD about these series:

For Bewitched:
The season 1 B/W intro with the season 2 theme tune (1965-66 season); this season was also the first to properly debut the "S from Hell" (initially in B/W)
The season 3-4 color intro with another arrangement of the theme
The season 5 color intro, whose arrangement of the theme was the first to include the "twitch" sound for Samantha's nose.
The season 8 color intro, with a slightly different version of the theme than with seasons 6-7. However, starting with the season 6 finale, the announcer is added but the rest of the title theme is the same, through season 7.

For I Dream of Jeannie:
The season 2 (1966-67) color intro, which lacks Sidney Sheldon's credit (which was, for this season only, moved to the start of the end credits, which was the same case as the first season of the classic Star Trek which had [in this case] Gene Roddenberry's credit as creator seen at the start of its end credits for most of the run) and has a slightly different arrangement of the opening title theme than on seasons 3-5. One episode on DVD, "Happy Anniversary," does have the proper season 2 visual but still has the season 3 version's audio.
The in-between commercial break bumpers, which use the different version of the arrangement of the title theme tune (season 1, 2, 3 and 4-5 respectively).

~Ben

Last edited:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I have about 8 episodes of Jeannie from 16mm and - even in rough shape - I prefer watching them over the DVD prints. I only have them from the first season, though. Still, to have the right music, the cigarette ad graphics over the end credits and the Screen Gems logos with NBC bumpers is always fabulous.

It's sad than none of the DVD sets even had the longer unaired pilot and none of them have the subtitles for Jeannie's non English speaking scenes.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, thought I’d chime in real quick. I’ve been watching the Sony set of Bewitched, I just finished the first season.

With the exception of the episode where Samantha learns to drive, which I’d only seen a small portion of on MeTV, I’d never seen these episodes from the first season before. The pilot was a real eye opener as I didn’t know they’d done an episode like that where they just get married. The episodes have been fun and very sweet. As well as many have a lot of heart.

I’d seen a few episodes on the Mill Creek set in the original black and white. So when I got the Sony set, I’m watching in the colorized versions as you know. What surprised me is how well they did them. And I’m surprised at myself I’m enjoying them more in color. I’m all for OAR and non-colorizing. But for the most part, they did a good job. There’s a few places where the gray shows up on teeth, and in scenes of low contrast, the colorization is harder to look good.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I have the Sony and Mill Creek sets of both shows. I prefer the Sony for the clarity, but I LOVE the Mill Creeks for IDOJ for the single stupid reason that the Screen Gems logos were restored. They were such a strong part of my childhood, the series was never the same without them. So, yay...

OT: as with The Powers of Matthew Star from VEI as well-- the Paramount Blue Mtns. of the time there (both normal and tall-peaked); something that both ClassicTVMan1981X and I have been appreciating (IIRC)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks