What's new

Infocus X1 versus a different XGA Native Resolution Data Projector? (1 Viewer)

Nathan_S

Auditioning
Hello everybody,

I'm brand new to the forum, and this is my first post. For the last three years I have been running an old Proxima DP2800 LCD data projector in my room for movies and cable television. I hardly do any presentations with the computer or Power Point now that I am out of school. The old Proxima is 640 x 480 and cranks out a whopping 110 ansi lumens with a lovely 100:1 contrast ratio, plus its hot halogen bulbs are 25 bucks a crack and only last 30 hours at best. My cousin wants to buy it and so if I have a buyer then the thing has to go. I still don't have a lot of money in my budget but I desperately need an upgrade if I am to sell it.

From what I gather the Infocus X1 is one amazing deal at just under 1 grand. I like the fact that it has a great contrast ratio and uses DLP technology (I can live with the rainbow) However, upon surfing around the net I also found some other low hour demo Infocus projectors that are in the same price range. Specifically the Infocus LP-350 re. I know that this projector is more geared for the business presentation market. However it is also DLP, and it has a true XGA resolution of 1,024 x 768. Unfortunately this projector lacks Faraudja processing, and some other nice features on the X1. My question is if this kind of XGA projector is worth an extra 250 bucks. Intuition would tell me more pixels are better, and that 1024x768 is enough to display 720p? Any ideas on which direction to take in my projector purchase?

Thanks for all your help,
Nate S (the Newbie)

TanT

Stunt Coordinator
Forget the LP-350, buy the X1. Trust me, you won't regret it if you could live with rainbow.

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I've tested both extensively. The simple fact is that the LP-350 was not built for home video, but rather business presentations. compared to television, colors appear inaccurate and "washed out" at the same time.
Oh .. also I REALLY dislike the little-known fact that the LP-350 can't do a keystone correction for video inputs (Composite/s-video)

The advantage of the LP-350 is more pixels (but not more DVD resolution, since its not there on the DVD to begin with) and thus reduced screen-door effect.

Rainbows are about the same with both. I chose the X1 & would do it again today.

Scott

Nathan_S

Auditioning
Hey thanks for the input. I didn't know how different the color would really compare between the two. Also, the fact that the LP-350 has no real keystone correction is also a serious no factor for me. In a few months my cable company will release high def digital cable, I thought maybe the LP-350 could show more of that reslution, but it sounds like it may not be worth the sacrifice in color and features.
-Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks