What's new

InFocus 4805 vs Optoma EP716 Projector (1 Viewer)

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
Black friday is around the corner and I want to cash in on a budget DLP!

THe two choices I have narrowed this down to are as follows...

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805
http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFo...nPlay_4805.htm

Optoma EP716 Projector
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-EP716.htm

I'm kinda stuck on which one to get. The screenplay is 16:9, half the rated light output, but has DVI input. The Optoma is 4:3, its twice as ligth, but only goes up to composite inputs. Both have similar contrast, similar zoom, exact same price ($499 down from $799), both SVGA but the Optoma will resize up to like 1400x1050.

I'm starting to lean towards the Optoma... any better ideas?

This is going to be used in my apartment for gaming, DVD, and standard TV viewing. Brightness is a concern because I probably won't have a completely light controlled room. I'll be making myself a screen for it at some point. I think 4:3 is a better size for gaming, but 16:9 is preferable for DVD's.

any recommendations?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I imagine all games will eventually be 16:9. Also, the ability to scale to 1400X1050 is basically going unused if you're just using it for gaming, DVD and standard TV (and that's not even considering the scaling might suck). The 4805 had lots of bang for the buck when it was brand new. If you can get it for $500 we're talking a bang at atomic levels now :). I don't know much about the Optoma EP716, but just looking over the specs it doesn't strike me as being in the same league as the 4805, which also has the Faroudja deinterlacer.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
If you can get a 4805 for five bills, that is as close to a "no brainer" as is humanly possible. I paid $900 for mine, and I still consider that a steal.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the 4805 doesn't have a DVI input. It's a multipurpose M1 input, for which you'll need to buy a $30 or so adaptor to plug in a DVI source. Plan accordingly.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
And that 4805 for $500 is a referb and AFTER a mail in rebate, so keep that in mind. I asume the Optoma is the same.

I saw the Black Friday deal also and I'm debating whether to pull the trigger or not.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for the help!

I like the idea of 16:9.... gonna get the 4805.

while im at it i'm going to pick up the canon digital rebel xt too I think :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks