What's new

Infocus 4805 refurbs. (1 Viewer)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I came across a couple websites selling the 4805 refurbished, and they both listed the warranty as being the full 2 year warranty. Can this be accurate, or do you think it is a misprint/sales ploy? I'm thinking of upgrading from my X1. Thanks.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Is there a way to see if they're an infocus authorized reseller? Displays are a big chunk of change and projectors can be fragile, I'd make sure they're a reputable company.

See if they're on www.resellerratings.com while you're at it

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yep, one call to the Infocus people will give you your answer on this one for sure.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I was looking at those refurbs and there's only a $300 to $400 difference for a three month warranty on parts and labour compared to 2 years.
The brand new one has a $100 mail in rebate at this time.
It would be a real downer if the bulb blew at 4 months.
It would also appear the prices are dropping in general.
I'll bet by September the brand new 4805 will be going for $900.

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter
CAD? Isn't that what a 4805 is going for now brand new in USD? I just saw X1 for $600 with $100 MIR but I want a 16:9 native FP, preferably native HD too so I'm waiting on the 7200 or similar to come closer to $1000.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I called those 2 places and they both said the 2 year warranty was a "mistake", it is indeed 90 days. What a load of crap. So if a company is not listed as an authorized reseller you can't get warranty work done? How does this work with all these places selling the 4805? By the way, Ian-fl, the bulb is only warranted for 90 days anyway.
Thanks.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
This authorized dealer thing is very grey and unclear.
I bought a Harman Kardon receiver from Etronics a few years ago only to find out it wasn't an authorized dealer.
I needed warranty repair and all I did was send it back to Etronics and the problem was fixed and returned.
I always suspected it was because manufacturers want to protect the retail price and these online retailers will always undercut by 20% and yet warranty wasn't of any concern to them when the matter came up.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I went to Infocus' website and they list "unauthorized resellers" of their products. And it states that if you purchase from an "unauthorized reseller" they will not honor the warranty, or give you any support. I find this unbelievable. What are all the people doing that bought the 4805 from Costco, Sam's Club, etc. if they need warranty work? They list "authorized resellers" and Costco and Sam's Club are not one of them. I'm CONFUSED.

James Phung

Second Unit
I believe Infocus lists dealers for the Screenplay "line" of projectors. People have called Infocus and asked if Costco is authorized and they indeed are (for the 4805).

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I don't know who's right. When I was at Infocus.com I clicked on "where to buy" the 4805, and it did not list Costco as an "authorized dealer". I'm thinking of upgrading from my X1, but I think I'll wait a while yet and see if the price drops more.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
Costco IS an authorized seller of the 4805. They are not listed but a quick phone call to them (Infocus) confimed it. Maybe they have a "deal" with non warehouse places to not list the warehouse places or something......who knows. If anyone is looking fora 4805 call or E-mail TVAuthority (forum sponcer) for probably the best price around for a NEW machine and the ARE authorized.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks