Hmmm, Sanyo PLV-Z1 for $699 or InFocus 4805 for $799 (refurb)?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sami Kallio, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Z1 has better resolution and price. LCD vs. DLP. Which one would you choose and why? Keep in mind the 4805 for that price is refurbished (if that makes a difference to you).

At those prices I bet both are great and my wait for a second FP is over. I might have to even consider ditching the 480i CRT projector I have but I still like its picture very much even at that low resolution.

2. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

From everything I've read, the 4805 is the best bang for the buck out there. If all you are doing is watching DVD, it is more than good enough.

Jason

3. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Well, I am going to be biased of course since I own a 4805 but I had a similar choice and was very happy I went the 4805 route. Obviously the big diffrence is LCD vsDLP so you need to decide the technology you like first. I really don't think it is a comparison though. The resolution thing is soooooo minute you really won't notice a difference. SD will be worse on the Sanyo since the "older" lcd models do not have as good fill factor as new DLP's. The Contrast ration on a Z1 is only 800:1. I am sure calibrated that number may actually go down. The 4805 has a CR or 2000:1 and when calibrated has been measured up to 2200:1. The only thing that the Z1 wil have over the 4805 is it is a bit quieter. It may have lens shift too but Iam not 100% on that. If you can get a 4805 for 799$ (refurb) and it is from an authorized re-seller than I would certainly go that route. Also the 4805 is the "new" model in the line....the Z1 is 2 models old.......

4. Gerald LaFrance

Gerald LaFrance Supporting Actor

Gerald LaFrance
    Sami do you have a Link for where you get those projectors at that price I dont mind having a refurb just tryin to save some bucks!! THNX

I agree with Evan and would go with the Infocus!!

5. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Sami, what is the warranty on the 4805? Most refurbs I've seen are only 90 days. That would turn me away from a refurb. I'm thinking of upgrading my X1 to a 4805. Who's got the best deal on the 4805 these days?

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Not sure if those Z1's are available anymore.

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

8. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Both are 16:9. The Sanyo is 960x540 and the InFocus is 854x480. I think I will hold off some more and get back to this when I can get native 720p for less than a grand. When the 1080p FP's come out and are affordable then it is time to bolt off the CRT.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

What thin black horizontal lines? I'd had my Z1 for over a year now....

10. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

You are going to be waiting for a long time then. Just remember that while you are waiting you could be enjoying a real big sceen that will give you fantastic PQ. I am not saying that waiting is bad but keep in mind that there will ALWAYS be a better technology to get into when you are ready to buy. It is a neverending cycle......so why not jump on now and enjoy........?

11. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

This would be my second FP, I already have a CRT projector in my home theater room. If it was my first FP then I would be investing more money into one and getting a 720p native. So I can wait while enjoying a fantastic big screen. [​IMG]

12. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL!!! Sorry about that Sami!! I just re-read your first post and saw where you already mentioned that....my bad:b . In that case......I give you permission to wait LOL [​IMG].