Infinity sub question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by TonyNoles, Feb 18, 2004.

1. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

On the back of my Infinity sub there is a phase switch. It says reverse/normal switch to flip audio signal polarity. The phase switch is can be flipped from 0 to 180 degrees. Can anyone explain to me what this means and what settings should be used? Thanks for any input.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Sometimes people have:

- full range speakers
    - funny 'valley' in their room response

Here is the problem:

Your main speakers have a woofer. When a low-frequency sound comes from your reciever-it goes to both your main speakers and the sub.

For some seating distances - the sound pressure wave from the L/R speakers hit your ears first. But you know how the woofer moves out/in/out/in? Sometimes the wave from your L/R speakers are pulling back when the pushing-out wave from your subwoofer hits. This means the two sounds cancle each other out.

The phase knob is one way to compensate for this. Moving the subwoofer a bit is another.

Unless you have multiple subs, just leave the phase knob at 0.

Did this help?

3. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I appreciate it.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Have an assistant flip the switch back and forth as you listen to some bass-heavy material and choose the setting that sounds better to you. If you don't hear a difference, leave it at 0.