1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Infinity sub question

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by TonyNoles, Feb 18, 2004.

1. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

On the back of my Infinity sub there is a phase switch. It says reverse/normal switch to flip audio signal polarity. The phase switch is can be flipped from 0 to 180 degrees. Can anyone explain to me what this means and what settings should be used? Thanks for any input.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Sometimes people have:

- full range speakers
    - funny 'valley' in their room response

Here is the problem:

Your main speakers have a woofer. When a low-frequency sound comes from your reciever-it goes to both your main speakers and the sub.

For some seating distances - the sound pressure wave from the L/R speakers hit your ears first. But you know how the woofer moves out/in/out/in? Sometimes the wave from your L/R speakers are pulling back when the pushing-out wave from your subwoofer hits. This means the two sounds cancle each other out.

The phase knob is one way to compensate for this. Moving the subwoofer a bit is another.

Unless you have multiple subs, just leave the phase knob at 0.

Did this help?

3. TonyNoles

TonyNoles Extra

Thanks for the explanation Bob. I appreciate it.

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Have an assistant flip the switch back and forth as you listen to some bass-heavy material and choose the setting that sounds better to you. If you don't hear a difference, leave it at 0.