What's new

Infinity Interlude center channel (1 Viewer)

Chris_Blanton

Auditioning
I'm currently using an Onkyo 575 to drive a pair of Infinity IL 10's and I want to buy the matching center channel for home theater. I've heard somewhere that it's generally better to buy the larger center channel because of it's important role. However, I also heard that for some reason the IL36 does not sound as good as the IL25. Has anyone experienced these speakers side-by-side, or even read a critique of them? I don't know why but audioreview.com hasn't updated their products in ages, and these aren't even listed.
Thanks!

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Where did you hear that the IL36 does not sound as good as the IL25? Actually, the IL36 is as really awesome center channel to match with the rest of the interlude series. I use IL40's for my fronts with the IL36 as my center and it is nothing less than stunning.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
I had the IL36C, along with the IL40's as fronts and IL30 as rears, this setup sounded ok. The IL36C was overpowering when using the IL30 as fronts, which lead to me upgrading to the IL40 in the front. So if you have the IL40's as fronts, go with the IL36C. Good luck
-MarshawnM

donovan_chin

Stunt Coordinator
Good point. Yeah.. the IL36 might be a little overpowering if you use the 2-way speakers like the IL30 or IL10s. But for a match of the IL40... awesome!!

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I use the IL36c w/ IL10s in the front and it's a perfect match. Why? Because they both have the same 6 1/2" drivers and the same 1" CMMD tweeters. The bonus is that the IL36c includes a 3" midrange for most voices in movie tracks... since voices are almost always going to be coming from the center, it just makes perfect sense to me. I LOVE my IL36c, it's the best center channel I've ever heard for

Chris_Blanton

Auditioning
Thank you all for the input! :) I'm curious what you're driving them with as well. I've got a Onkyo 575 on it right now, and i really enjoy the sound, but feel like it could use just a little more juice. To the gentleman (or lady) who posted that 2-ways might be a bit overpowered by the IL-36, and also to the one who posted that the IL10's are a perfect match, what reciever/amp are you using?
And yes, I LOVE my IL10's! I just got new digital coax and optical cables for my cd and dvd player respectively, and they sound even better than before! Much better I might add! (I was using monster) Seems to me like these speakers are very transparent, so much so that a weak link in the signal chain is very obvious...

KyleS

Screenwriter
I would say that there is not doubt the IL-36 is a much nicer CC then the IL-25. Currently I am running the IL-60's in front, IL-10's in the rear, and the IL-36 for the CC. But I had to wait about 6 months for my IL-60's to come in and during that time I did run the 10's up front with the 36 CC. If you calibrate the speakers then you cant go wrong and it will NOT be overpowering IMO. So spend the extra cash and get the 36 if you can, trust me you wont be dissapointed.
Oh yeah I am currently running this setup with the
Onkyo Integra DTR-7 receiver.
KyleS
[Edited last by KyleS on August 15, 2001 at 02:05 PM]

Jonathan Ling

Auditioning
Slightly off-topic, but a "heads up" for people interested in the interlude series (or infinity speakers in general):
there's a promotion going on where you get a free DVD just for auditioning Infinity speakers. You don't even have to buy them, just get the dealer to sign off as proof that you auditioned them. Then you mail in the form and your dvd arrives in a week. Check out the post in the Home Theater Coupons and Bargains section of the forum for details.

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
This is the gentleman that mentioned that the IL36C maybe overpowering with the IL30's as front channels. When I had the Infinity IL setup, I used an Onkyo 787 to drive them (The Infinity IL's are a perfect match for Onkyo). Again, for my taste the IL36C really overpowered the IL30's as fronts. Good luck and happy reviewing :)
Marshawn

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
I have tested the il36c but i tend to like the polk cs400i center better. anyways infinity does make some good speakers but i definetly feel they are WAY over priced b/c i used to work for Circuit City and i could get the Infinity IL36c direct from mftr. for $150!!! I also could get the IL40's for $150 each as well! thats about 70% off of retail price!!!

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Youssef, you make a valid point in some respects. But, from what I've listened to (from B&W, Paradigm, NHT, Polk, PSB, HTD, S-F, Infinity, DCM (bleh), Klipsch, etc) the IL10 is the best sonic value to be had on the market today. From a materials standpoint, they're completely unmatched in the world of home audio considering their price.
And even though I realize that choices in speakers are completely subjective, I've never heard a more transparent, cleaner, more natural sounding bookshelf speaker (or any other type for that matter) than the IL10 for under $1000. Though it's not always an indicater of quality sound, the IL10 has one of the flattest frequency responces I've ever seen from any speaker, regardless of price. In fact, I almost think that Infinity goofed by making the IL10 sound so good... heck, for just pure, natural sound, I think it sounds better than it's big brother the IL40... and *gasp* within a hair of sounding as good as it's super-expensive cousin the Intermezzo 2.6P (they share many of the same features: CMMD drivers, 5 way bi-wiring binding posts, etc).
Now, I know that we're talking about CC's, but the same technology and quality that goes into the IL10 is also in the IL36c... in fact, like I said before, they even share the same tweeter and bass driver.
Anyway, IMHO, I can honestly say that the IL10/IL36c combo is the best speaker value in HT and would still be a great value at even twice the price.
I know that speakers are very subjective, but I strongly feel that anyone looking into buying new spks for their HT needs to audition the IL series (specifically the IL10).
And, no, I don't work for CC or Infinity. I just love the Interlude series. They're awesome products, and that's a very rare thing to find in a product that's sold in a retail chain.
------------------
"But you have to remember that a worm, with very few exceptions, is not a human being." - Freddy

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry you are DEFINETLY right about the IL10 bookshelf speakers, they sound AWESOME!!! NO distortion whatsoever when you turn up the bass on the receiver to max!!! (unlike the polk line). I did work at CC and everytime someone would come in for speakers i would reccomend the IL10's b/c of the superior price/performance of these babies. Unfortunately not many people took my advice and they tend to pick the crappy bose am10 or am15 setup over the infinity or polk setup i would reccomend.

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sold on Infinity also. I have RS-5s for front and rear with a CC-3 center and an HPS-1000 sub. I've changed 1 thing since I bought all these, and that was thanks to the Overture and Interlude series speakers. What was it: THE GRILLs!! The RS-5s sounded good, but my god, I changed to a look alike grill that the Overture and Interludes use (cloth instead of plastic coated metal) and they've never sounded better. I was going to purchase the IL series until I found this little jem of "tweak".
Also, my opinion, get the BEST center speaker and BEST sub you can find!!!
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks