Infinity Interlude?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Darksyde, Jun 18, 2003.

1. Mike Darksyde

****Edit I meant Infinity Alpha's*** Interlude is what I used to have.

Are these a set of speakers I should be looking at.

I am not loaded wtih deep pockets, however I do want something above what I can buy at target....

To give you a scope on the budget, the sub is 500 for this set. Center Channel 400. Surrounds 300. r/l a little more...

If not, what would you suggest around this range?

Personal experience is what I am looking for, I know that I should listen and decide for myself. But I want a starting off point.

Thanks for the replies.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

How much are you willing to spend on 5 speakers and a sub?

3. Mike Darksyde

I could handle that...at the most...prolly...

More like 2K.

4. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If you want to spend that much I would recommend some of the following:
    Defenitive Technology
    Axioms - http://www.axiomaudio.com/epicgrandmaster.html?1124
    Rockets - http://www.av123.com

If I had to replace my speakers today I would buy either the Axiom or Rockets after doing more research on the two.

From readings / reviews I think they would sound better then the infinity but that is just my opinion.
    Alot of these internet based companies are producing amazing things for half the price of higher end companies out there. Do some reading on the Axioms/rockets and take them into consideration with your purchase.

5. terence

terence Supporting Actor

The Alpha's got great reviews in last month's S&V and this month's Home Theater Mag.

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I've only auditioned the Alphas, but with Sade playing they sounded good to me (as do 99% of all Infinity's). Clean, punchy & detailed. Especially that cerametallic(sp) tweeter--the ceramic material does a good job of taming the metal portion. When I become employed again, the big Alpha "37C" center will sitting on my TV. Alphas seem solidly built & look nice too (if I was buying an entire set of them, I'd get the beechwood finish).

To be honest, with $2000 to spend it's difficult to buy a truly bad speaker system, so don't get paranoid!

Some Infinity history

LJ

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

8. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Lance, I don't know, but I've heard and read a lot of people think that the older interlude series was actually better than the newer Alphas that replaced them. I also don't know if they still have them or not, but ubid.com had new Interludes at almost steal prices recently.

9. Mike Darksyde

Wonderful responces and links, thanks for the reviews! I am pleased at what I have read here. I am very excited about my upgrade and I bet my Jurassic Park DVD is excited too!

I have not made a final decisions of course, I will be listening to a few more sets in the comming weeks, before the house is purchased, but these were where I was leaning.

10. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

When I made my speaker purchase, I listened heavily to both Infinity and Definitive. While the Definitive sounded excellent, the Infinity's sounded just a tad more natural. I ended up purchasing a set of Infinity Interludes. You really can't go wrong with either speaker, though, as both brands are very nice.

I haven't checked out the Alpha's, mostly because I don't want to want a set [​IMG] . Good luck with your speaker purchase!

Matt

11. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

If I have the money, I will get these....

[​IMG]

These are at 50% off at Audio Advisor.com

12. Greg Bright

Greg Bright Second Unit

Gregory Bright
    I have the Interlude IL60s, and to show you how far speaker design has come they are better than the Infinity Overture 3s that they replaced. Much smoother mid-range, deeper bass, and overall more natural sounding. I doubt the Alphas are demonstrably superior to the Interludes. Kappas, on the other hand would probably be a real step up. The Intermezzos shown on the previous post on sale at AA would be my choice. Wish they had been on sale when I got the IL60s. They are as close to Preludes as most of us Infinity folk will ever get. Check Harman's site

Harman Audio Outlet

13. paulBAW

paulBAW Stunt Coordinator

You might wanna consider the Polk Audio LSi7's all around with their matching center channel. At full retail your looking at about $2,200 then you'll need a sub. I have matched my LSi9's against Alpha 60's yesterday, and even though the Infinity floorstanders had deeper base the mid's and highs really couldn't hold a candle to the LSi's. The detail, imaging and overall accuracy of the LSi's were quite higher not only to my ears but to the other 4 people when A/B'ing the two speakers. I'm sure if you find a retailer, you could work them down on the prices too.