What's new

Infinity Alpha 40's VS. JBL E80's HT/Music (1 Viewer)

Eric*William

Auditioning
Hello All,

I was looking into upgrading my speaker package and I was comparing 2 set-ups with a Yamaha receiver:

Infinity Alpha
Mains: 2 Alpha 40 Towers
Surrounds: 2 Alpha 10 Bookshelves
Center: Alpha Center 3-way
Sub: HSU VTF-2

Vs.

JBL E-Series
Mains: 2 E80 Towers
Surrounds: 2 E10 Bookshelves
Center: EC 35 Center
Sub: HSU VTF-2

If anyone has any and I do mean any input on any of these speakers I would appreciate it. Good and bad experiences!! I have auditioned them, but they were at different stores so I could not do a side by side comparison. They will be used for about 70% HT and 30% music. And yes, I know that speakers sound different to every person but, I still would love some input. I have searched for opinions on the 2 brands and can't find that much useful input. Help please!!!

Thank You In Advance,

Eric:)

Kris_Smith

Agent
Well I have the Alpha 50's and Alpha 37c center channel and am happy with them.....I'm almost positive the 40's would sound pretty much the same.....What about the Betas? I heard they are even better.....

I have only heard the JBL sub and it sounded pretty good so I'm guessing the rest of the system would be on par.....

I did get a chance to hear the E10's, but with the sub, they were pretty much overpowered...So my review is NA...

I went to comp usa to hear the HSU, not sure if it's the same you are planning on buying......I was not impressed at all...

They also tried to push the Infinity ps10 on me..Wasn't impressed with that either....

They then played the JBL sub and it blew away any sub they had there.....I already knew it would be good form previous listening....

Eric*William

Auditioning
I went and checked out the new Beta Series by Infinity, but I didn't like the looks which are always an important factor. I now have included the Alpha 50's into the picture also. I gave them a listening and came away pleased. So, If anyone else has experience with the Alpha line of Infinity's let me know! Good or bad??? Especially the Alpha 40's, 50's, and the 37c center channel.

Thanks,

Eric

Eric*William

Auditioning
I went and checked out the new Beta Series by Infinity, but I didn't like the looks which are always an important factor. I now have included the Alpha 50's into the picture also. I gave them a listening and came away pleased. So, If anyone else has experience with the Alpha line of Infinity's let me know! Good or bad??? Especially the Alpha 40's, 50's, and the 37c center channel.

Thanks,

Eric

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Eric-

How was your experience with the JBL Northridge E80s? I am considering purchasing a pair and can probably get a smoking deal (

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
Eric-

How was your experience with the JBL Northridge E80s? I am considering purchasing a pair and can probably get a smoking deal (

Kris_Smith

Agent
I love my Alpha 50's...

I love my Alpha 37c center channel....

You probably don't care, but I just placed an order last night for the Alpha 1200s which should in route as we speak and be delivered sometime on Monday.....

I will be purchasing the Alpha 20's as surround sometime in the near future.....

I also like a balance of looks and performance.....I knew from the first moment I layed eyes on the Alpha series I was going to buy the set.....

Ever speaker purchase I've made has been plagued with thoughts of other brands, but I'ved always came back around to the Alpha series....

The only other sub I even considered was the Martin Logan Descent....That looks tough....

I thought about SVS, HSU, JBL, Klipsch, STILL ended up buying the Alpha.....

I've heard my share of Infinity trashtalk, but who cares....I've seen plenty of people driving 89' Hatchbacks with a smile.....Some men like Blondes....

WHAT DO YOU LIKE? I like my Infinity Alphas....

Kris_Smith

Agent
I love my Alpha 50's...

I love my Alpha 37c center channel....

You probably don't care, but I just placed an order last night for the Alpha 1200s which should in route as we speak and be delivered sometime on Monday.....

I will be purchasing the Alpha 20's as surround sometime in the near future.....

I also like a balance of looks and performance.....I knew from the first moment I layed eyes on the Alpha series I was going to buy the set.....

Ever speaker purchase I've made has been plagued with thoughts of other brands, but I'ved always came back around to the Alpha series....

The only other sub I even considered was the Martin Logan Descent....That looks tough....

I thought about SVS, HSU, JBL, Klipsch, STILL ended up buying the Alpha.....

I've heard my share of Infinity trashtalk, but who cares....I've seen plenty of people driving 89' Hatchbacks with a smile.....Some men like Blondes....

WHAT DO YOU LIKE? I like my Infinity Alphas....

Eric*William

Auditioning
Chris,

I don't have the E 80's by JBL, but they are one of the speakers that I am thinking about. Also, I will admit that the deals on the E-Series are one of the reasons that I am considering them. Tuff to beat that price. But as Kris has said, the Alpha's should also be considered. I am impressed though Kris that you stand behind your choice of Alpha's so strongly. That makes me want to go audition them again and possibly pull the trigger. I know that both are made by company's owned by Harman, but I was just curious about the opinions of knowledgeable people who have used either of the speaker lines. By the way, what is the general consensus or thoughts about JBL's or Infinities???

Thanks For The Input,

Eric

Eric*William

Auditioning
Chris,

I don't have the E 80's by JBL, but they are one of the speakers that I am thinking about. Also, I will admit that the deals on the E-Series are one of the reasons that I am considering them. Tuff to beat that price. But as Kris has said, the Alpha's should also be considered. I am impressed though Kris that you stand behind your choice of Alpha's so strongly. That makes me want to go audition them again and possibly pull the trigger. I know that both are made by company's owned by Harman, but I was just curious about the opinions of knowledgeable people who have used either of the speaker lines. By the way, what is the general consensus or thoughts about JBL's or Infinities???

Thanks For The Input,

Eric

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
I have all three. 50's in front, 37c center, 40's rear. i'm very happy with them for both HT and music.

The 37c is a very good center. I wouldn't consider the other Alpha center.

I know the 40's in the back may be overkill, but I listen to alot of DVD-A and SACD. I have a HK 525 and a Denon 2900 both have good BM, I just prefer all speakers set to large for hi-res music.

With music my Alpha's seem a little bright at extreme volumes(90+ dB pushed with rotel 1095). At normal listening levels everything blends in fine.

If you listened to these speakers and liked them over others go ahead and get them, you don't need the forums approval.

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
I have all three. 50's in front, 37c center, 40's rear. i'm very happy with them for both HT and music.

The 37c is a very good center. I wouldn't consider the other Alpha center.

I know the 40's in the back may be overkill, but I listen to alot of DVD-A and SACD. I have a HK 525 and a Denon 2900 both have good BM, I just prefer all speakers set to large for hi-res music.

With music my Alpha's seem a little bright at extreme volumes(90+ dB pushed with rotel 1095). At normal listening levels everything blends in fine.

If you listened to these speakers and liked them over others go ahead and get them, you don't need the forums approval.

Kris_Smith

Agent
I was also thinking about getting the 40's at the surround positions, but thought that it may be too much....

I think they would be much better than the 20's....Deeper....

I will also be buying the HK dvd31 which plays DVD-A and I have been waiting to get into the DVD-A craze......

I live in an upstairs apt. so I want clarity over volume, but I also like being able to push the envelope.....

I'm sure the JBL's are great speakers also...I think they have a model with dual 12's which I've never heard, but might have bought had I seen them earlier....

I hear JBL is THE speaker system used in most movie theaters.....In my opinion you can't go wrong here either....

I think you have it narrowed down to 2 quality speaker systems and am sure you'll be pleased with either of them....

I'm positive I would have been equally as happy with the JBL's, but I saw the Alphas first and liked the look of them a tad bit better......

I would say the JBL's would be the guaranteed SAFE buy...The ALPHAS may be more of a "you either love em' or hate em'".....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks