What's new

Inexpensive in-wall speakers for living room (NOT main HT) (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
We're currently building a house and had the living room pre-wired for speakers front and back. I was originally planning on wall-mounting the Yamaha HTIB speakers we're using in our current living room. Well yesterday I was in the house while they were putting the wall-plates on. I was disappointed to see them putting basic blank wall plates on, not plates with binding posts. I started thinking I'd need atleast $50 - $75 worth of wall plates to do it right (I don't want to just drill holes in blank wall plates).

That got me thinking I could probably get some decent in-walls for not much more money and have a bit more elegant solution. They don't have to be reference because this isn't our main theater. I'm looking at a few different options, mainly the AudioSource AS5S at around $40 per pair and the JBL FM62 at $40 per pair. Does anyone have any input on either of these or any other suggestions in the $50 and under per pair range I'd really appreciate it. I'll be using a standard sub so frequency response isn't of absolute importance.

This isn't the main theater room... that will be the third floor bonus room consisting of Swans 6.1 mains, 2.1 surrounds, C3 center, Ascendant Avalanche sub w/ 500w Bash amp, Pioneer Elite 82TXs, Toshiba HD-A1, Motorola 6412, Panasonic AE700u, and 100" electric pull-down screen. That's where any critical viewing/listening will take place.

These speakers do not have to be audiophile quality... they're replacing Yamaha HTIB speakers and will be powered by a Yamaha HTIB receiver matched with a Yamaha HTIB subwoofer hooked to a 27" analog TV, SD cable box, and DVD/VCR combo. If they sound as good as what they're replacing then great... if they sound better than the TV speakers that's good enough. This will be used for occasional TV viewing, children's DVD viewing when friends come by w/ their kids, and some music during parties (closer to a dinner party than a frat party). The main requirement is that they disappear and are inexpensive.

Given these requirements/expectations in mind what suggestions or constructive input do you folks have to offer?

I'm leaning towards the JBL FM62s which are an older speaker (made from '96 - '01) that retailed for $299/pair and is long discontinued. I beleive they're nearly identical to the Infinity CS60 which is a current model. A liquidator still has some around new-in-box, 9 pairs as of yesterday. These are no boubt of higher quality but also do not include rough-in kits or drywall locking-tabs. I'll have to find or fabricate some drywall locking-tabs for the installation.

Thanks

bubsdaddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry Johnson
I have Audiosource IW6S speakers in 3 different rooms in my house. They sound superb. Well worth the $50 or so per pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks