What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Asking an 80 year old man to reprise a role he first played 40 years ago is just desperation and highlights the dearth of creativity in the industry.

I absolutely disagree with this.

Harrison Ford could retire any time he wants. He does not need the money. He has the means to say no. If he said yes, it means he wants to play Indy again. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not, but if Ford does there's got to be a reason beyond the check.

There is plenty of creativity in the industry right now. Some of it comes in the form of big-budget franchise blockbusters. Hopefully this ends up being one of them.

I have been on record in this thread before saying I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. I'm still not sure. If it isn't, I'll say so when we see it. But they're going to do it, so I don't really see. point in prejudging it.

Right now I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic. Maybe it took this long to get this going because they didn't want to do it until they had something good. This does not currently seem to me to be a situation where they're rushing to make a date regardless of what condition the script is in. Lucasfilm has been in a position like that for Disney a few times already with various Star Wars things and it would be wise not to repeat that situation.

The movie could totally suck. But worrying about it maybe sucking in the past hasn't stopped them from getting to this point, and they are going to make it. So I'm going to try to hope for the best.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The reason for the delay is probably due to protracted negotiations over insurance. Still i suppose they could always use some CGI if the worse happened.

1) You really think the reason this movie has been delayed several times is due to insurance? So that Ford can do it when he's even older than when they originally intended to do it?

2) I don't want to talk about anything bad happening to Harrison Ford. Period. That being said, it would be impossible to complete a lead role the size of Indy with CGI. They were only able to insert Carrie Fisher into The Rise of Skywalker because they had deleted scenes from the other two films before it, and they had to write the new scenes that she was in around what dialogue had been written for her to say in previous situations for the other movies. If anything does happen to Harrison Ford, this movie is done.

But nothing is going to happen to Harrison Ford.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm not suggesting that Ford should retire, many actors have given fine performances in their later years, it's just that making an action film IJ5 with an 80 year old actor is just a cynical attempt to cash in. It's not as if IJ4 was well received or much liked. After an iconical trilogy, it's either time to retire the character or, like Bond, recast with a younger actor.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I always took it that Harrison Ford has been gung-ho to play this character as much as possible since the first movie. I don’t think they’d have guessed that there was would only be 4 by the time he got to his late 70’s, but I think they can make it work.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
6?

I'm pretty sure that Kathleen Kennedy referred to this as "the final installment" at Disney's investor day back in December.
If there's money to be made, there will be more. Not necessarily with Ford or Spielberg's involvement, but Disney won't allow a profitable franchise to lay dormant for long.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If there's money to be made, there will be more. Not necessarily with Ford or Spielberg's involvement, but Disney won't allow a profitable franchise to lay dormant for long.
Not to be morbid but I shudder to think what will happen after Spielberg dies. Any movie of his that his family doesn't have the ability to stop from being remade will be remade. The Sugarland Express shared universe? A trilogy of prequels to Jaws? Kick The Can sequels? A Duel remake/reboot/Fast And The Furious spin-off?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I mean, they can remake anything but there’s no guarantee that an audience will show up. There are countless examples of failed franchise launches and reboots that were immediately rejected by audiences, from Robocop to Ben-Hur to the Universal Classic Monsters and everything in between. So while I have no doubt that the studios might try their hand at this, if there isn’t a compelling reason and vision behind a new version, the audience won’t just show up because the name is semi-familiar.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Mikkelsen always has my attention. I thought Crystal Skull was a sad, dull affair...the least interesting film the director or writer had ever made. I like Mangold and love Indy, but had negligible interest in this re-revisit. But Mikkelsen will sell me a ticket.

Though I'd rather he was cast as Dr. Doom or Dracula.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Nice! 👍 I’m not the biggest Indy fan on the planet, I like the films (I only REALLY like Temple of Doom) but I’m starting to feel excited. With more than one cast announcement it seems promising that it’s finally happening.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Interesting scheduling quirk: If the current release schedule is maintained, this means Mads Mikkelson would be appearing in two big franchise sequels at the same time.

Fantastic Beasts 3 in which he is the new Grindelwald is slated for July 15, 2022.

Indiana Jones 5 is currently just two weeks later on July 29, 2022.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Harrison Ford turns 79 next month. 😱

He'll look more like Donovan.

1622688817402.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks