What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
True, but Connery only played Bond for five years before initially being replaced by another actor. Harrison Ford has been Indiana Jones for forty years now.

While that is true, he's not the only person to play the role. River Phoenix played him in Last Crusade, and Sean Patrick Flanery did a terrific job in the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, not to mention Correy Carrier and George Hall (as young and old Indy, respectively).

I know they are not beholden to the TV show, but technically we have already seen a 99-year-old Indy, so killing him off would violate that. Also, I believe Ford has said, in the wake of killing off Han Solo, that he would not kill off Indy.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I've been skeptical about this, but it looks like it's actually happening - they've booked studio space in London for the spring.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is a surprise.

I know lots of people didn't like Crystal Skull, but they did end it with Indy and Marion being married. This news makes me wonder whether Karen Allen will be involved or not.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I can't imagine she'll be playing a love interest, given that he's old enough to be her grandfather.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't imagine she'll be playing a love interest, given that he's old enough to be her grandfather.

Right; But her presence does raise the question of whether Marion will be in the film or not and what she will be doing if she isn't the female lead.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I know lots of people didn't like Crystal Skull, but they did end it with Indy and Marion being married. This news makes me wonder whether Karen Allen will be involved or not.
She's not necessarily Indy's love interest. She could be playing a rival for whatever artifact he's after this time, or she could even be playing his daughter; Harrison Ford was already in his mid-forties when she was born.

The bigger of today's news for me was the announcement that John Williams is returning to compose the score:

Wasn't sure he'd be back given that he's almost ninety and Spielberg isn't returning as director.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
She's not necessarily Indy's love interest. She could be playing a rival for whatever artifact he's after this time, or she could even be playing his daughter; Harrison Ford was already in his mid-forties when she was born.
I’m sure she’ll be hinted at to be “someone” but then implied to be “no one” but finally confirmed to be “someone” before the end. The fans will just love it!!!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I never meant to imply that I expect35-year-old Phone Waller-Bridge to be a love interest for 78-year-old Harrison Ford. That would be awkward and inappropriate.

However, confirming that she is the female lead of the movie before confirming whether Karen Allen is in it at all was a little bit of a surprise. Even though most people didn't like Crystal Skull, everyone loves Marion from Raiders. The last time we saw them, they were married. So I feel like she has to be there when we pick up next. That's all.

That being said, it is great to hear that they got Williams back. I wasn't sure if he would or not without Spielberg at the helm. It seemed just as likely that they would hire someone else to do it and just use his themes. I am glad we are getting one more Indy score from the man himself.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I kinda wonder if they will somehow make her his daughter. Old Indy from The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles did have a daughter. And if memory serves, she was in her 30s in the early 1990s, placing her birth in late 50s/early 60s.

EDIT: Found this:

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I hope they'll get Waller-Bridge to punch up the script. She's already done it for Bond.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That assumes that they need to punch up the script. This thing has been in development for so long that I've lost track of who has written the latest draft and what version they are going to be using.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I hope they'll get Waller-Bridge to punch up the script. She's already done it for Bond.
We haven't seen the results of that yet, so I'm not sure if that's something to wish for here.

I'm still not getting my hopes up for this until they're actually rolling cameras. It's been "coming soon" for so long.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think this is the first time that Lucasfilm has confirmed anyone other than Harrison Ford to be in the movie. I don't know if I would etch the July 2022 release date in stone because the theatrical marketplace is so much in flux right now. However, that is at least a good sign that the wheels are turning a little more than they had been at various points in the past.

We know that Phone Waller-Bridge is a celebrated writer from her various other credits. I certainly do hope that her work on Bond is good. However, we don't know whether or not the script needs punching up. It's also possible that part of the attraction for her might be doing something that she doesn't have to write. After writing In the Heights and Hamilton, some people expected that Lin-Manuel Miranda might contribute songs for Mary Poppins Returns. But he said he was excited to take the role just as an actor in something that he didn't have to write in order to give himself a role..

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I wish I had confidence that this will actually get made, and that it will be a lot better than Crystal Skull

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wish I had confidence that this will actually get made, and that it will be a lot better than Crystal Skull

I absolutely believe Disney intends to make this. Deadline says they are aiming for a production start this summer, so we'll know more soon if they're going to make that target.

Since most people consider Crystal Skull a pretty low bar, at least it can't possibly be worse. Knock on wood. But that's how I'm choosing to look at it.

Wasn't sure he'd be back given that he's almost ninety and Spielberg isn't returning as director.

If we assume that Williams will score Spielberg's next film as well, that would give him two scores in 2022. When was the last time that happened? Tintin and War Horse ten years ago?

Spielberg is currently casting a film based on his childhood which is expected to be released sometime in 2022. (Yes, West Side Story is technically Spielberg's next film, but I'm not counting it for purposes of this because it is already done and sitting on the shelf right now due to the pandemic. And obviously there wouldn't have been much for Williams to do on that movie.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks