What's new

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I love Crystal Skull. I thought it was an inspired idea to set the film as far in the future from the originals to match the amount of real life time that had passed, and to style the film like a 1950s era b-movie, just as the originals were styled after 1930s era serials.

Given how much money the movie made, I can’t be the only one that liked it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think if Spielberg could have shot Crystal Skull the way he wanted, it would have been much better. But Lucas kept wanting to insert dumb ideas like the monkey swinging, etc., and it didn't feel to me that it was a movie with an integrated vision.

Of course it made a lot of money. It was the first Indiana Jones movie in forever (and looking more and more like the last with Ford). I went and saw it three times because it was Indy. But that doesn't mean I thought it was great (or even very good).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If it had been rejected by its audience, it would have had a huge second week drop and sold poorly on home media (an obvious example of this phenomenon is The Amazing Spider-Man 2). That those things didn’t happen suggest to me that more people liked it than didn’t.

It’s probably my second favorite film in the series. The monkey swinging is no worse than half a dozen silly things in Temple Of Doom.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think one of the things I disliked about Skull when I was younger is the anticlimactic ending (their greatest gift was knowledge, etc.) and that Indy never saw an alien. The saucer taking off at the end also looked phony to me.

That said, as I age, I think one of the best things about it was the idea of knowledge as a gift. I only wish that theme had been bolstered more in the actual movie for a better payoff in the end.

Oh, and it should have been titled "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars." :laugh:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I took Indy not seeing the alien as being the movie's equivalent of Indy closing his eyes at the end of Raiders; there are things stranger and more powerful in this world than we can understand, and Indy is comfortable with not having information that man isn't meant to. I honestly never thought twice about it.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
For me, the movie promised me a climax it simply didn't deliver. It's been a while since I watched it (maybe a couple years), but every time I do watch it, thinking I judged it too harshly, I feel the same way.

That said, it has the best introductory adventure in the beginning second only to the original, IMO. I love the opening.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The chronological quality of these films is interesting to say the least. Good, bad, good, bad. Maybe the fifth one will manage to be good. Although, I'm not sure how they are going to pull it off with Harrison being of an advanced age.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I have a few friends who feel the same. Not the most controversial thing I’ve heard all day :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Controversial opinion: I think Temple of Doom is the best one.

*runs and hides*

It just shows how subjective the definition of a "good" or "bad" film is. I think TLJ is one of the worst STAR WARS films ever made and most others on this board think it is one of the best. Different strokes for different folks.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
It just shows how subjective the definition of a "good" or "bad" film is. I think TLJ is one of the worst STAR WARS films ever made and most others on this board think it is one of the best. Different strokes for different folks.
I can’t even explain it other than I feel the whole movie is entertaining the entire way through, and the second half is a non-stop action fest of the highest order. I can’t get enough of it whenever I watch it!

“Mola-ram! Prepare to meet Kali, in HELL!”

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member

I agree, TLJ is one of the worst, I’d rate it lower then most of the prequal films. Though the fight scene in Snoke’s throne room was good.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, when Willie is being lowered into the boiling lava I wish to hell she'd just drop and we'd be done with her.
She already had two strikes against her because I loved Karen Allen in the first film, but Capshaw's incessant screaming just gets on my nerves throughout the film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks