What's new

Increasing Refresh Rate To 100Hz On A 15" CRT (1 Viewer)

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My buddy's 15" monitor had a wicked case of the flicker-bug. I looked at the Settings and the video card was set to "optimal". I changed it to 100Hz, and the flicker went away....can such a relatively high setting do any damage?

Camp

Senior HTF Member
What are the monitor specs? Not all monitors can sustain that high a refresh rate.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
If it syncs, it should be OK, but not necessarily. My monitor will sync above it's recommended range and eventually has problems. For that size, if the res. is higher than 800x600 I would try knocking it down to 85hz or below. There shouldn't be any bothersome flicker at that point.

Of course, if you have the manual handy and that refresh rate is within the specs, don't worry about it at all...

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'd set it to the lowest refresh rate where you notice no flicker.

My monitor is rated at 100hz @ 1600x1200 but when I change it to that setting the text is slightly blurred. So what I do is lower the refresh rate to 85hz which still has no flicker and the screen looks crisper.

An easy way I found out to notice flicker is look at the screen from the side of your eye.

I can only assume that running it at a higher refresh rate will lower the life of the monitor similar to running a brighter color setting. Probably not much though...

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
There ARE monitors that don't have a fail-safe circuits for driving out of range, but assuming this is a new monitor it shouldn't be too much of a worry.
I've killed a couple of cheap/older monitors in X-Windows before with some typos. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks