in-wall wiring between receiver & display

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin-Y, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Kevin-Y

Kevin-Y Auditioning

I am in the process of finishing a basement where the A/V equipment will located in the back of the room. I plan to run in-wall wiring from the equipment to the display. The cable length required to accomplish this will be a little less than 60 feet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to purchase the following wiring for this distance? Any solution would have to meet building codes for in-wall wiring.

1) S-Video

2) Component video (I'm assuming 3 RG6 cables would work for this)

3) Audio (the yet to be purchased display might not have its own speakers, but I figure I should run audio just in case)

4) DVI or HDMI (this is more for the future. I would prefer HDMI since that seems to be the up and coming standard. I understand there are distance issues with long DVI runs. I can't find anyone supplying long HDMI cables.).

thanks!

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

You can use RG-6 for component video as well as S video. You can get an adapter (one for each end actually) that will convert 2 coax to S-video, which is great for longer runs such as yours.

For audio, just use a cl-3 or in-wall rated speaker wire.

Extron makes a DVI cable that works good for long runs. I'm sure there are others, but I know the extron cable works over 50'.

3. Johnny Mo

Johnny Mo Agent

I don't know how far along you are in your plans, but would it be too late or not space feasible to build out a small crawlspace deep area-2-3ft behind the equipment area? This would be to make a set of built-in shelves that are open and accessible from this area and I think will allow you more flexibility in a) wire type, b) ease/flexibility of hook-up and c) better ventilation for components.