What's new

in-wall wiring between receiver & display (1 Viewer)

Kevin-Y

Auditioning
I am in the process of finishing a basement where the A/V equipment will located in the back of the room. I plan to run in-wall wiring from the equipment to the display. The cable length required to accomplish this will be a little less than 60 feet.

Does anyone have any advice on how to purchase the following wiring for this distance? Any solution would have to meet building codes for in-wall wiring.

1) S-Video

2) Component video (I'm assuming 3 RG6 cables would work for this)

3) Audio (the yet to be purchased display might not have its own speakers, but I figure I should run audio just in case)

4) DVI or HDMI (this is more for the future. I would prefer HDMI since that seems to be the up and coming standard. I understand there are distance issues with long DVI runs. I can't find anyone supplying long HDMI cables.).

thanks!

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
You can use RG-6 for component video as well as S video. You can get an adapter (one for each end actually) that will convert 2 coax to S-video, which is great for longer runs such as yours.

For audio, just use a cl-3 or in-wall rated speaker wire.

Extron makes a DVI cable that works good for long runs. I'm sure there are others, but I know the extron cable works over 50'.

Johnny Mo

Agent
I don't know how far along you are in your plans, but would it be too late or not space feasible to build out a small crawlspace deep area-2-3ft behind the equipment area? This would be to make a set of built-in shelves that are open and accessible from this area and I think will allow you more flexibility in a) wire type, b) ease/flexibility of hook-up and c) better ventilation for components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks