What's new
World Wide Stereo

In Wall Cables (1 Viewer)

Gravityrider

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
Hello, I am just in the process of finishing my basement development, and although it is not going to be a dedicated HT room, I would stilll like to do a clean installation of my wiring for speakers and wall mount tv. I am planning on hiding all my wiring in the wall and ceiling. My question is, as most a/v components use hdmi connectivity now , can I install only hdmi cables to connect my tv to my receiver, blueray player and PVR? Are there any other cables I should consider before I finish the wall? thanks,

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The connection between your TV and receiver will work fine with HDMI. Do both support the back-channel or whatever it is so that your TV's audio from the internal tuner flows over the same HDMI cable? If not and you want to use the TV's tuner, then you need an optical or coaxial connection as well. Blu-ray and DVR should connect to the receiver.

Gravityrider

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
right now my old receiver does not support hdmi, but am planning for down the road. Right now audio from my tv to my receiver flows through a L/R rca cables. My Blueray player is hooked up with component a/v cables and my pvr is hooked up via hdmi to my tv. I hoping to run the minimum of cables in the wall. Will hdmi support everything between tv and components? Talking about current amps/recievers that support hdmi. anyone else have some input? thanks.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Will hdmi support everything between tv and components?
Yes, if you 1. Have a TV and a receiver that supports the "return channel" on the HDMI cable and 2. Have a receiver that up-converts all sources to HDMI.

Gravityrider

Auditioning
Real Name
Kelly
thanks for the extra input. I did talk to a rep a best buy yesterday and he said essentially the same thing. As long as you have an upconverting receiver, all I need is one hdmi from the receiver to the tv. All other components would hook up to the receiver. One question, how do I know if my tv supports the "return channel"? thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yashavi46
Recent bookmarks