What's new

In this corner: Paradigm Cinema vs. PSB Alpha Intro vs Energy Take5.2 vs JBL NSP1 (1 Viewer)

Any comments? Price/quality?

I was thinking about buying:

1) Yamaha RXV-430
2) Panasonic DVD-RV32
3) PSB Alpha intro speaker set with sub/zero sub.

I'm fairly convinced from what I've read that the DVD player and receiver are good reliable entry level models. I'm not quite as about the speakers.

I've been offered this system for $1600 (canadian) altogether (including tax). Is this a good bargain, or do you think I can do better. Anyone in Toronto know any good places that deal?

Thanks

Chris

What speakers will deliver the best bang for the buck. I am trying to assemble a system for $1500 canadian, including the Yamaha RXV-430, Panasonic DVD-RV32, and I am kind of stumped on what set of speakers to go for.

So what is better?

PSB Alpha Intro
Energy Take 5
JBL NSP1
Paradigm Cinema series

I live in an apartment so huge thumping bass is not as much of an issue as clear sound, delivered nicely for both music and DVD movies.

Thanks for your help guys!

I haven't been able to get much feedback on these speakers. Does that mean nobody out there has them, or nobody out there likes them?

I really need some help on this.

PSB Alpha Intro?
Paradigm Cinema?
JBL NSP1?

Since I'm in Canada, I've heard Paradigm might be the way to go getting a good deal, but PSB is also canadian, which is why I wanted to get some feedback on those.

Thanks again.

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
I haven't listen to the cinema or the JBLs, but the PSB alpha intro line is pretty good for the money. You can do better with Axiom speakers which are less priced then PSB.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
The PSB Alpha Intros are nice. You just have to remember the limitations of using a smaller speaker setup like this (a sub is a requirement).

However, if you have just a little more space the larger Alphas (A/Vs, etc) are not that much more money for a lot more speaker. This is why I imagine we don't hear that much about the Intros-the other Alphas have such an excellent reputation.

Paradigm also a small speaker line called the Cinema. Both these brands are a great value and well worth a look since you live in Canada.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Off the list I like the PSB and the Paradigms the most, but YMMV. Test drive them all. :)

Nick_Shah

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

From your list, I've listened to the PSB, Paradigm and Energy packages. However, I listened to the Take5.2 from Energy, not the Take5.

Of those three, I liked the sound of the Take5.2 the most, but I still wasn't really pleased with it. The Energy S10.2 was the subwoofer that was demoed with the system.

I think that my main reservation with these setups was the performance with music. I was interested in movie sound, but I really enjoy listening to music.

I was also in the position of wanting the full HT setup as soon as possible, with five speakers and a sub. In the end, I decided to buy things in smaller chunks. I started with a receiver, and then Axiom M3Ti's for mains, with an Axiom VP100 centre channel. I'm building a DIY subwoofer now, and will buy surrounds in the near future.

Since you're in Toronto, and likely within stone's throw of several good AV dealers, I suggest looking to buy Canadian-made speakers, as they offer the 'bang for the buck' which you seem to be interested in, and they are a very good deal in Canada.

But whatever you do, make sure you spend some time listening to speakers before buying. I found that it helped a LOT.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

-Nick

Arron H

Second Unit
Check out this site for some interesting alternatives for cheap home theatre:
Link Removed

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking at Paradigm, did you choose the Cinema for the size? I think you could also get Paradigm Atoms or Titans and a CC-170(?) and a small sub (maybe a PDR-10).

Actually, with $1500 you could probably do 4 Mini Monitors, a CC-370, and a PDR-10 (when I bought these a few years ago, Canadian price was approx. $1400 - it may be a little more now). Of course you would need stands with them too.

I didn't mind the Cinemas when I listened to them, but I think you would be much happier with the Minis.

Just my opinion.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
I use the Intros for Center and Rears. Believe it or not I have them mated with Revel M20's and a B15. Although two-channel is my priority, the Alpha Intros do a credible job of mating with the Revels tonally... plenty of detail, and plenty of volume in my small room.

My father also uses the Intros for Center and Rear (I actually bought mine because I was familiar with the great performance he was getting). I've always been amazed at how these tiny speakers produce such a 3-dimensional and detailed surround soundfield. Better than my Mirage OM-R2's ever accomplished.

Evan H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a paradigm user, but that being said, the Energy Take 5 speakers absolutely floored me when my old roomate got them 2 months ago. They have amazing clarity and the sub has a decent amount of power down low (my roomate got 2 subs, to give a little extra punch). All in all, if i was buying a small system, I wouldn't think twice about buying them.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
One of the things I notice is that if something is bad there is a lot of information on the internet about how bad it is. If something is good, you really can't find much information about it.

I have the Alpha T's, B's, and C. If I remember correctly the Alpha Intro's were just a little less than the Alpha B's. I would have to agree with BobJ thought, with either the Intro's or the B a sub is a requirement.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
May I suggest going the next step up and purchasing JBL Northridge components.

JBL N-center for less than $100 US
JBL N-26 or N-28 also for around $100
JBL PB-12 = $300 US or Sony 12" = $150

At those prices you'll have a much better bang per buck. To be honest, I don't really like the cheap HTIB compared to the value components. The step up is pretty big.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
hris, there were 3 threads all dealing with the PSB Alphas so I merged them all into this one thread.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
If you have the space and budget, go with larger bookshelf speakers. You will be glad you did. If you go with those little bitty tiny satellite speakers, you will be missing a lot. I had awesome satellite speakers (def tech procinema100's), they were the best satellite speakers I have heard but they still lacked in the lower end. I made the upgrade to bookshelf speakers and have been very pleased with the change.

If you are on a tight budget, I suggest you look at the paradigm atoms with a good tight sub. If you can spare a little more, go with a better line like minimonitors.

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Chris:
$1600 taxes in seems like a good deal for the setup you listed. You might want to jump up to the RXV-530 though. The 430 has no S-Video switching.
If you are looking for more ideas and a spec comparison on entry level 5.1 speaker systems like the PSB Alpha Intro's, check out this buyer's guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks