JBL nsp1 vs. Paradigm Cinema , Energy , ect..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikePeroni, Jan 8, 2002.

1. MikePeroni

MikePeroni Stunt Coordinator

Sep 1, 2001
    After hearing rave reviews about the nsp1 package I finally got to hear it. I thought it sounded pretty damn good especially for the price -- $300.00 (5 sats plus CC)

Obviously places that sell JBL usually dont carrry the higher end stuff like Paradigm, so a side by side comparison is impossible.

Wondering if the Energy Take 5 or the Paradigm Cinema series can sound that much better for DOUBLE the money! ( or Def Tech 80's for triple!!)

Im also wondering if at low to moderate levels (one year old baby in house) the difference is even more minimal.

Any opinions on all this are welcome as I dont want to spend more than I have to, but dont want to regret what I get either! Mike
  2. Chaitanya R

Chaitanya R Auditioning

Jan 2, 2002
    I'm in the same boat as you, trying hard to get the "best" (for me) speakers in my budget. My advice: you CAN and SHOULD audition speakers side-by-side, in your own home. It's impossible (for me, anyway) to listen to and compare different speakers in different stores, even if done in the same day.
    My example: I'm currently comparing Celestion F2's ($150/pair, Good Guys), Polk Audio RT800i ($500/pair, Fry's) and hopefully Paradigm Monitor 9 ($800/pair, Specialty store) and Pinnacle Gold/Aerogel ($1200/pair, Fry's). All sounded good to me in the stores. Only at home I realize I don't prefer the Polks and would like something better than the Celestions. The excellent return policies at most stores (30 days) allow me to do this, and you should take advantage of this. (I tried to get their demo models as much as possible to minimize the cost the stores incur due to these returns, but I figure they recover the cost from me anyway.)
    Bottom Line: You should judge with your own ears, with your listening environment / receiver / volume level / music etc. Avoid deciding only based on other people's opinions. Then I'm sure you'll get the peace of mind, knowing you made the right trade-off for yourself. Good luck, and enjoy the process!