What's new

Help, Paradigm vs B&W vs Energy (1 Viewer)

michael_mo

Stunt Coordinator
Hopefully some of you have heard each of these speakers and may be able to help me. I am choosing my mains and center soon. I listened to many speakers, and are down to either the Paradigm monitor 7s, B&W 600 series or the Energy Connoisseur C5s. I plan on a SV 20-39 pc+ for the sub. And I have not looked at surrounds yet.

Here are my thoughts:

The Paradigms are nice and may be the best all around between the three. The price is good. I can get new montitor 7s (with 10% off) for $630/pair + tax. Or, I can get a 1 year old pair for $525. I love the sound and I wanted a higher efficiency speaker than the studio series (plus those would be more$$). The center speaker is just ok, IMHO.

The B&Ws sounded very impressive, but it was a very small demo room, (my room is 15x25). I could get the 601s for $450 minus a ~10% discount (if i get the 60s3 center and receiver there). I also could go with the 602.5 s3 for more, but I didnt think the bump in price would be worth it. As they seem to be the same speaker as the 601s3, but in a tower. Also, I since the 601s are bookshelf speakers, I would need stands, which I think is a negative, since I'd rather put $70 into the speakers than into stands.

The Energy C5s are also nice, the matched center was also just ok, (IMHO again). They would be more $$ than the Paradigms, which I thought were about the same quality of main speakers.

A few notes: I've had Polk monitor 7c's since the late 80s and love them, other than I cant stand the low efficency and I swore to never buy 4 Ohm speakers again. The system I am putting together will be >80%HT.

Any thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. I was about to make a post regaurding these 3 speakers as well, along with other recommendation in the similarly priced bookshelf speakers. I am interested in what you guys got to say about these 3 speakers!

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
What will you be using to power the chosen speakers?
The 602.5 uses a larger driver than the 601, well worth the extra money. I owned both the 601's and 602's in the past, the 602S2's I now use for surrounds.

JessPrice

Stunt Coordinator
I will be using Marantz 7300ose reciever (110 wpc), thinking about 4 602-S3's for mains and surrounds.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I can't comment on the Energy speakers.

I run the Monitor series, so that's my bias, but the only competition at my dealer (or anywhere locally) for that matter, was the B&W 600s3. I auditioned the 601S3, which was 450, as opposed to 350/pr for mini-monitors. Some, including my dealer, prefer the 600 series for added detail. Upon switching speakers to the 601's, I immediately was prompted to turn down the volume and keep doing it on pretty much every song, they were fatiguing and difficult to listen to. They sounded a little "forced," as if there were some funny eqing going on. That's just one man's opinion, and from this experience, and the fact that the paradigms were CHEAPER than the B&Ws, I obviously went with them. I am on the verge of upgrading, to what I do not know. I really like the 'digms, and paradigm always gets a plus recommendation from me, regardless of the line, except for their subs, I'm running an SVS instead :D.

I think you're shortchanging yourself by not listening (or maybe you have, you didn't indicate it) to the Studio series, IMO. Gonna be more expensive, starts at 800/pr for the new 20s, so it may be overbudget.

Anyway, that's my take on monitor series versus 600s3. Your taste in sound will be different, so I can't tell you one way or the other, except to go listen.

I don't think you should limit your speaker purchase either to "high efficiency speakers" only, unless you have a woefully inadequate receiver, and like listening to stuff really loud. Then again, you're gonna be crossing over all the bass to the SVS, which reduces a HUGE amount of strain that otherwise would be placed on your reciever or amps.

Jess's Marantz should handle pretty much anything reasonable you throw at it, so what will you be using equipment-wise with your speakers (whatever they end up being) ?

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
I actually just got a set of studio 40s after auditioning the B&W 601-603s. I just preferred the sound of the 40s and because I got the V2 I only paid $660(US). I honestly haven't listened to the monitor series but I will offer the same advice that I was given...Audition, Audition, Audition. Also, if you can find a dealer that still has the Studio V2s you should be able to get a decent discount for some great speakers. (Granted you will still need the stands)

my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks