What's new

In the Mood for Love: the best Criterion has done yet (1 Viewer)

Tyler Ruggeri

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so I'm biased. I've wanted this thing on DVD since I first saw it during the US theatrical release last February. I avoided buying the region 0 disc after hearing it was crap and missing subtitles for the text excerpts at the beginning and end of the movie. I was a little mad when USA didn't release it along with the VHS, but this Criterion disc is more than I could ever have asked for.

I've only watched the movie and scanned through the supplements, so where to begin. It may be $40 retail, but it's massive. The booklet alone is 50 pgs., with the entire unabridged short story that inspired the film. Everything you could ever want to know about In the Mood for Love is on this disc. The transfer is gorgeous. I remember renting the VHS just to see the film again when it came out and the lush reds were bleeding everywhere. None of that here, and it appears the grain problems on the international releases have been solved.

I own quite a few Criterion discs and have rented others, and while I may be in love with the film, I would like to say as objectively as possible this may be the best and most extensive work Criterion has done yet. Buy this disc now, it definitely warrants the attention even if you haven't seen the film.

Tyler Ruggeri

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Glad I found your post Tyler. Looks like I'll try and pick this disc up. This will be my first Criterion - can someone explain why there is such a cult following for the Criterion titles? More importantly, where can I find this? I went to Best Buy and Circuit City. Neither carried this title.

Anyone else want to want to chime in with some reviews of this disc?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Criterion's cult following harken's back to the company's LD days of yor. They were one of the pioneering establishments for placing 'Bonus Materials' with their movie product.
These days I believe they're most likley know for being the premier region 1 distributors of high-quality foriegn material, and for much older cinematic fare. Since every movie company and their brother now has "super special mega limited directors editions" on the shelf, The Criterion Company (CC) is well-know for not giving us "Fluff Specials".
My only gripe is that some of their older DVD releases tended to be non-anamorphically encoded. But since I'm watching them on a Non-HD-ready 27" RCA it hardly matters (At least until I buy a better TV:D ).
On a final note: I wasn't honestly looking forward to ITMFL, Having not heard much about it. I am however, looking excitedly forward to Rashomon.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Thanks much, Garrett! And, welcome aboard. It's nice to see another thoughtful, knowledgeable contributor like yourself.

I'll have to look at some specs & info on Rashomon based on your advice.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Peter,
You might want to check the online retailers for Criterion releases. I've seen a few at Best Buy, but it's real hit or miss (mostly miss) there, as Criterions aren't a real "mass market" kind of disc. You never know when Best Buy will get a new release, if at all. Personally, I use DVD Empire.
-Dave

Christopher D

Second Unit
Does the French R2 have any significant features that aren't on the Criterion?

(I have both and still haven't watched the movie . . . .)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The best place that I know of to get Criterions right now is DVD Planet - they have the entire catalog (including pre-orders) at 35% off. They've been running this deal for a couple of months - I don't know if it's permanent or is planned to end soon. Also, DVD Planet gives 5% EBates rebates, so if you use EBates you're getting 40% off, just like the good ole days! I've been stocking up! :D

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
You're right about Best Buy, Dave. Too bad...I went there today looking for ITMFL - didn't see that title, nor any other Criterion titles.

Anyway, thanks for the lead. I've done some searching on the web and my immediate impression is that DeepDiscountDvd carries Criterion and pretty reasonable prices / no shipping fee, either.

After visiting Criteriondvd.com I think I've caught the fever. Their catalog fits my taste. But the prices...aye yigh yigh...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I have the terrific French edition. I would love to hear if someone has both this and the Criterion, and could do a comparison as regards picture quality, etc...

Bleddyn

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Bleddyn,
Look at this thread for a comprehensive comparison between the R2 French DVD and the Criterion.
As you can see, the camp is pretty mixed. Some swear by the French DVD. I will admit that I feel the Criterion looks more complete.
And just as a general response: Is this DVD out already?
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

I thought this wasn't coming out for a few months!! I am dying to get this!
Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks