What's new

In the Market for a 42"+, CRT/LCD/DLP? (1 Viewer)

Well, Im moving to a new apartment and I finally have the space for a decent sized TV - I play a lot of videogames, thus due to burn-in and brightness concerns I'm thinking either an LCD or DLP projection set is the way to go.
I'm on a fairly tight budget of about $1500, but I can probably slide this number around if necessary.

Ive sort of been looking at the following:

-Sony KP51WS520 51" CRT projection ~$1500
-Toshiba 46HM84 46" DLP projection ~$1400
-Sammy HLN467W/HLP4663W 46" DLP projection ~1500$ (though I did hear there were lag isues in videogames running in interlaced modes on the samsung dlp's)

I've read some of the master burn-in thread and I still dont know how worried I should be, so going crt over dlp scares me a bit, but if its not really the issue some make it out to be maybe im better off going with the sony. Either way, if you can recommend something better that ive overlooked, id really appriciate it - not sure if theres a favorite set floating around on here that I missed... Thx!

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I would seriously consider the new Sony LCD Rear Projection models, the 42A10 and the 50A10 that are just hitting the stores now. They look pretty amazing. Their price is right. Their black levels (with the iris technology) are comparable to DLP black levels and there will be no burn-in problems. They also have very thin size bezels...so they fit into smaller spaces while maintaining screen size. The 42" is only 39.3" wide and will fit in the same cabinets where most 36" CRT TVs fit. The 50" is only 46" wide.

Whats the complete model number on the sony's you're talking about - I tried googling for 42A10 and came up with nothing. Are they not out yet?

EDIT: Ack, nevermind. KDFE42A10

Looks like ~$2000, might be a little high priced, we'll see if I can come up with the extra cash. Any other models that I should take a look at that might be a little cheaper? :)

Randy Brist

Agent
I purchased the Sony KDF-E42A10 on Tuesday. I had planned on buying a Toshiba 34" HD CRT set, but when I saw the Sony I was very impressed. I had a Sony XBR 34 tube set that went on the fritz and I was upset and decided to not get another Sony. Well, after checking gout the KDF-E42A10 I was impressed. The HD images coming from my cable box are great- and live sports or HD video (instead of upconverted films) is amazing. The 42" Sony fits on the stand my 34" Sony used (which I bought for my 36" 4X3 Sony. The speakers on the KDF-E42A10 are not on the side but at the bottom- and inset a bit. The set was made to fit where a 36" TV could go.

I am still getting used to the projected picture- HD is great. Analog through the cable box is awful (wasn't great on the CRT either) so I watch cable straight into the TV. It's got a built-in HD tuner which I haven't used yet- I've got 1 station nearby broadcasting HD, and a couple more about 65 miles away--and I don't have an antenna.

The one thing that really BUGS me about the set is the remote. It is a universal remote and is supposed to be able to learn the codes of your DVD/VCR/Cable box. I have a Motorola cable box. Neither code works. I have a Toshiba DVD/VCR...those codes don't work either.

I paid $1899 for my TV at HH Gregg.

RAndyB

TicoTVA

Stunt Coordinator
Burn In is not such a big issue any more. Lastest studies I've studied indicate so

Technologies such as "orbiting" or micro-pixel
movement were created to decrease the possibility for burn-in

TV tested:

From IDC:

... Most potential buyers scared off by the notion of plasma "burn-in" are more focused on the damage caused while pausing a football game or their favorite show on TiVo for a few minutes while running around the house. Our tests show that current plasma technology can tolerate a full 48-hour session on pause, and then resume its original state with no permanent effects after a 24-hour video loop. Thus, while it is unlikely that a consumer of a current generation (or later) plasma TV will even notice any image retention caused by 5 or 10 or even 60 minutes on pause, it is most definite that any such image retention will disappear over the course of subsequent TV watching.

1-5 rating score - 5 -most noticable

Results:
After the 48-hour test, all LCD and microdisplay rear projection televisions scored a "1", as there was no indication of any image retention after the
test period. Plasma, on the other hand, did show clear signs of image retention, with all displays scoring a "5" after 48-hours of displaying the video game menu.

However,after running a movie loop on each plasma display for 24 hours, ISF testers could not perceive the previously retained images while watching video on the plasmas after the 24 hour "fix". As such, plasma's image retention score went back down to a "1".

>> Brian , I hope this helps you a bit...
That being said -- from your choices, I'd lean with the Samsung for DLP as they are the furthest along in their DLP generations.
**HLP4663W 46" DLP projection

Tico
[email protected]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks