What's new

In need of some advice (1 Viewer)

Paul Cole

Agent
Greetings all. Let me start by saying how happy I am for finding this place. You fine folks have ALREADY helped me so much. Thank you all very much.
I'm feeling pretty overwhelmed with all the audio/video choices and terminology. I use to know a little bit about this stuff but got lost in the last 6 years.
Well, let me get to my problems.
My wife and I just bought our first home and my wife's father bought us the Sony KP61HS10 as a gift(really sweet guy). I was horrified when I realized I would now need a new reciever and speakers to take advantage of all the digital goodies. I currently have an old Onkyo SV515PRO that looks and sounds brand new. I have a REALLY old pair of Bose 901 continentals that STILL crank. And, I have a modest Sony dvd player(Dolby Digital/DTS). I'm not concerned about the cd player, tape deck and vcr. As I said earlier, we just bought a house so money is pretty tight right now, so just reciever and speakers.
This is all going in the living room which is roughly 15 x 20. We watch a lot of dvd's and I listen to TONS of loud music (hard rock). My two main questions are.
1. Do I really need a new reciever?
2. Can or should I use the 901's as a part of the speaker system?
I just hate to replace a perfectly good reciever. Is there anyway to use it as a slave to drive a cheaper reciever that has all the stuff I need? Or are there any other options like external upgrades for it? If I do replace it I have decided on the Onkyo 595 but I don't want to have to replace THAT in 5 years. I saw the 595 for $387.00 through pricegrabber.com...is this my best option?
As for the speakers I'm thinking I should use them as my "B" speakers (See...I really don't know what the hell Im saying.)? Just so I can crank tunes, or would the 6 piece system handle loud music just fine? I'm thinking I have somewhere around $500.00 to spend on speakers. I would also like a sub but don't know if I can get a decent speaker/sub system for that price.
I'm really lost.
Thank you very much, in advance,
Paul

Jeremy Hegna

Supporting Actor
Paul, Welcome to HTF. :)
"1. Do I really need a new reciever?"
I'm not familiar with your specific receiver. Does it have Dolby Pro Logic capability? (Should be a DPL insignia of some kind on the front). Is it Dolby Digital? DTS? If it is the first...just DPL, you'll have a working receiver for the basics, unable to take advantage of 5.1 discreet in either DD or DTS formats. If you would like to take full advantage of DD and DTS, a new receiver will be necessary. However, your old receiver would work very well to power an SVS sub....high performance and low dollar subwoofer highly regarded as one of the best subs money can buy right now. So don't get rid of it quite yet.
"2. Can or should I use the 901's as a part of the speaker system?"
You could use them if you would like. Do you still like the sound of your 901s? Speaker technology has come a long way since the 901s came out. Computer aided design, better crossovers, speaker material, cosmetics, etc. have enabled the production of incredible speakers at reasonable prices.
I would suggest a couple of days of auditioning in your area at local shops. You talk about a budget of $500. There's some ideas in this price range, however, they are limited....considering you will be buying 5 speakers and a sub. It may be a good idea to get an idea of what's available in your area at different price points and then develop a budget strategy. Maybe a set of new mains and a matching center channel....use your 901s in the rear. When you can afford new rears and a sub, you can add to your mains....etc, etc. Some brands to look at for metal and hard rock would include Klipsch (horn tweeters, work great for rock, IMO), Paradigm, B&W (300 series), Home theater direct, Swan Divas, and M&K. Some of these will be a bit more than your budget....but you'll get an idea of what you want to spend to get to your "ideal" set-up.
Hope this helps,
Jeremy

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Assuming your amp is Dolby Pro Logic only (which I know it is), and since you watch so many DVDs, you'd really like Dolby Digital and DTS. It's a night and day difference (DPL vs. 5.1 that is). Go for it, I know you want to
wink.gif

------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Equipment List
The Dorm Room Theater

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
I'll strongly second what Chuck said; go out and get yourself a DD/DTS receiver. I was in the same boat, wavering back and forth whether my ProLogic was good enough for me. Got a DD/DTS and was blown away by the difference. It's not merely a night-and-day contrast; it's a deep, dark night and bright, sunshiny high noon difference.
Good luck!
Jon
------------------
"This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

Paul Cole

Agent
Yup, my current Onkyo is only DPL...what a shame. Guess it's gonna serve garage duties.
Will I be limiting myself with the 595?
And yes, you have been a help. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks