In-line crossover needed

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_W, May 1, 2002.

1. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

I am trying to implement a passive subwoofer configuration into my bassment rig and I was handed a surprise today. My old work horse pioneer receiver passes a full range signal out the sub output. [​IMG]
    Are there any inline crossovers that will only allow 80hz or so and under to pass? Something like the Harrison FMod would be nice, but I'm not sure if they are what I need. Look at this link and tell me if this would work. I guess I'm just not sure what that 12db slope does. I want clean unadulterated 80hz and under to pass and without any -12db/octave attenuation added.
    Thanks in advance

2. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

I don't even know how that is suppose to work, since for any type of passive crossover to work, the input impedence of the device it is connected to has to be factored into the equation in order to know what the crossover frequency is. If your input impedence is off by 5x from what the FMOD is designed for, the crossover freq would cross over either 5 times too high or too low.

This looks like some dirt cheap stuff used mostly for car subwoofers setups. But since it looks like you have a dirt cheap setup, you might not have too many other choice.

A better choice is an active crossover, but that might run much higher in price.

Anyway, 12dB/oct on the unit means at 80hz, it should be 3dB down, 15dB down at 160hz, 27dB down at 320hz...

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I fi were you, try to find a used Pardigm x10/20/30 module., These are pretty popular, and they are very coustically invisible, They are great little prices, and have settings for high pass crossover, low pass crossover, vlume and phase. Nice little pieces, gong for about $30-120 used, depending on the model

5. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Thanks for the good info guys.... gonna follow up on those leads.

6. John H

John H Second Unit

7. Allen F

Allen F Extra

Audio Control makes a unit called a Phase Coupled Activator (PCA), which can be used as a crossover. It comes with a 90hz built in xover, but you can supposedly get different resistor packs for it in a variety of frequencies. I picked one up from ebay for $100.