What's new

in ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

Michael Botvinick

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone installed in ceiling speakers. If yes how hard was it to do and which ones did you install. I would like to support one of our vendors like HTD speakers. I am building a new house and would like to save money by having them only pre-wire for in ceiling speakers. They would only leave a plate with the speaker wire behind it in several rooms (dining room, bedroom, garage etc.) And then pre wire for the rear channels in my HT (I think I might use the Phase III for the rear channels and not go in wall) After this house I am strapped and trying to stay on a budget. Anyd advise would be great.
Thanks,
Michael
[email protected]

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I installed Klipsch RCR3s in the ceiling (existing construction) for my surround channels and it was not a problem. Most of the in-wall speakers made today have several "J" clamps that automatically engage and secure the speaker in place when you drill the corresponding screws around the outside of the frame. Basically you take the template the mfg provides, cut out the hole, connect the speaker wire, shove the unit in the hole and start drilling the screws which activate the "J" clamps. You are at an advantage because you can prepare the speaker area now with additional resonance and damping materials (insulation). Many of the mfgs provide new construction kits with brackets and their own pockets which supposedly make the speakers perform better. I simply went to my local Home Depot and bought some insulation that had something about sound control and audio use and used it to make my own pocket using a stapler. I also put rubber stripping (the stuff you put around the interior door frame to keep the air out) around the lip of the speaker frame before installing. They sound fine even in multi-channel stereo. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks