Impressions of SVS/Onix/Pio 1014

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MikeWHA, Feb 24, 2005.

1. MikeWHA

MikeWHA Extra

Thought I'd share my experience with the forum as I venture into amassing my first real HT system.
    Purchased the Pio 1014 from JR last month and just received an SVS 20-39 PCi sub from the UPS guy. The box had a few holes in the top and I expected a bit more packing, but there was no damage. First thought was, "sh*t that thing is huge!"
    Cant imagine what it's big brother, the 16-46 looks like. I feel like I just adopted a full grown son. Seeing it in person is intimidating and I began to search for it's fangs. Looks wise, definitely has shock value and brings a completely different attitude and atmoshpere to the room than a a box sub does. It is now parked in the corner waiting for the arrival tommorow of my Onix set-up. On it's way are 4 550s and Bigfoot center in Rosewood.
    Next on the agenda is a DVD/CD player to go with my Panny 47" HD ready with HDMI connection. Have to admit the DVD/CD player market is a little overwhelming. Have no idea which way to go (progressive, upconverting, etc...) but I would like to spend less than $300 for a changer. Dont want to break the bank on that since the technology is evolving so quickly. Will eventuall upgrade to DLP.

Will update as I progress....

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Mike,
    Congrats on your purchases.

With regards to this:
    This is not a changer yet with HDMI.

There is a yamaha coming with those features. IIRC, the msrp was in your range, maybe a little more but not much.

3. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Congrat's, and welcome to the world of home theater. May your wallet be as big as your enthusiasm.

Are you looking for a "changer" (multi-disk), or did you really mean a single disk "player"?
    As Shane mentioned, there really are no HDMI equipped "changers" out there. But, there are many "players". A good place to start would be to pick up the latest issue of "The Perfect Vision" magazine. It has a huge DVD/Cd player round up.

Good Luck, Al. Wise