What's new

Important....dish Network And Hd Network Affiliates (1 Viewer)

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!!

There is a pending Bill right now called the ENSIGN Satellite TV Bill # S2644 which is going to be voted on tomorrow.

This Bill, if passed, will allow Dish Network to carry all of the HD Network affiliates.

This is really important for all Dish Network subscribers that can not easily pick up OTA HD signals.

This vote is on Tuesday. Please call your Senator IMMEDIATELY and ask for their support of this Bill.

Thank you,

Gregg Loewen

StephenHa

Second Unit
I've been hounding my senators, and anyone else who will listen for a while on this. I got an email from one of the trade publications about it. Hopefully it passes so it will make the playing field a little more level

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
"cannot easily pick up OTA HD"

Is there a strict definition for that? Does it require a rooftop antenna and a lack of a grade B signal?

In other words, will those without a rooftop antenna have to put one up first to prove lack of reception?

In my case, I can get ABC-HD and PBS-HD with a Channel Master 4-bay in my attic. However I cannot receive the NBC digital signal (they're not quite HD yet). If I put my antenna outdoors, with a preamp, I might be able to get them.

No prayer of FOX DT, and they don't have plans on spending any money for ED let alone HD...

Just wondering...

MarcS

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Gregg, you got some kind of lock on this thread preventing updates showing last post time/user, and number of reads/posts?

I see now that this thread must have been moved--I was posting to the one under tv programming...

Nevermind...

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
Anyone know what the results of the vote were? I may have to switch to dish if they offer locals in HD, I hate having to drag out the antenna to get a HD signal. Not to mention being able to get TNT HD and others.

Hey guys,
I've been searching all day for a response on that bill.
Iwantmyhdtv.com is a good website but they have not posted the response yet. My dad works for Dish but he's out of town and he doesn't even know what the outcome was. I will try to post once I find out. And they did delay the vote until today as fas as I know I don't think they delayed it anymore.

StephenHa

Second Unit
I usually get emails from sat biz news and they haven't said anything yet (I get emails twice a day too)

StephenHa

Second Unit
Senate Panel Passes Key Sat TV Legislation

On Thursday, the Senate Commerce Committee marked up legislation that will allow satellite TV providers to deliver a network high-def feed to distant network customers and addresses the delivery of local TV to a two-dish solution.

The legislation, the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Rural Consumer Access to Digital Television Act, is sponsored by Sens. John Ensign (R-Nev.) and John McCain (R-Ariz.). McCain also is chair of the Senate Commerce Committee. The bill would allow satellite TV providers to supply customers that cannot receive an over-the-air digital signal from the four major networks with a distant digital network signal by satellite.

"This bill is the result of hard work and compromise and has been approved in a bipartisan fashion," Ensign said. "Rural Americans are the true winners as a result, and I look forward to seeing this bill signed into law."

EchoStar praised the bill, saying it will encourage broadcasters to speed up the transition from analog to digital TV by making high-def available to consumers via satellite in areas local broadcasters do not reach. EchoStar also commended Sen. Conrad Burns (R-Mont.) for supporting the development and implementation of a digital white area model within a year, "and we hope the entire Congress will similarly embrace the committee's efforts to provide digital service to rural America," the company said.

And the Satellite Broadcasting and Communications Association was happy with passage of the bill. "It was critical that the Senate Commerce Committee pass this legislation and its work today is testimony of Congress' commitment to increase DBS' competitive capabilities and ability offer a choice for all Americans, especially those in rural areas," said SBCA President Richard DalBello.

The Digital Transition Coalition also commended the legislation. "Consumers throughout the nation, especially in rural America, are waiting to see the benefits of digital technology and Congress has taken an important step in making that a reality," the organization said in a statement.

The Ensign/McCain legislation also addresses the use of two dishes to receive local TV channels. EchoStar said it's disappointed with the 18-month timeframe the Senate Commerce Committee has presented for the switch from the two-dish solution to a single dish for reception of locals. However, "we believe the Senate has taken a far better approach than legislation passed by the House Commerce Committee," EchoStar said.

DirecTV also praised the committee for addressing "complex issues" contained in the legislation. "We remain concerned, however, about several provisions in the Senate draft, including resolving copyright issues with respect to the white area provision and the timeframe for ending the practice of relegating certain broadcasters to a second dish," the company said.

"We look forward to working with all the committees to ensure passage of this important legislation later this year," DirecTV said.

Reaction to the bill was mixed for the National Association of Broadcasters and its president, Edward Fritts.

"Our goal is to ensure consumer access to local television stations that provide news and lifeline information to local audiences," Fritts said. "We reject the notion that viewers might be better served by distant out-of-market stations. We applaud the bill's recognition that Echostar's discriminatory two-dish policy must end and look forward to working with Congress to complete the SHVIA reauthorization legislation."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks