What's new

Immediate Need For a Small but Good Sub (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
My 12" 250W Infinity Sub just died so I'm in the market. This time around I obviously want a sub that is a good match for our hardware and room but at the same time I would like a sub that is smaller in size. Now I may be asking for too much but cost is a big factor. Please provide your recommendations and comments.

Here are the facts of the matter.

..Room Spec's:
Our entertainment system is in our 17x16 open concept living room. One end of the living room opens into the dining room and half of one side wall opens into our library.

..Hardware:
Sony KV-36HS420 HiDef TV, Harman Kardon 525 AVR, Denon DVD 2200, LG LSS-3200A HiDef DirecTV Receiver

..Speakers(5.1/6.1):
Front - Infinity Alpha 50's, Center - Infinity Alpha 37c, Surround - Infinity Alpha 10's, Surround Back - Infinity Point 5

Thanks for your help!

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
For small subs, Velodyne and Sunfire come immediately to mind. As far as cost, look to the used market at audiogon. I'm sure you can find a Sunfire True Sub or Veloydyne HGS-10 or HGS-12 for about $1,000. If that's too much, then I'm sure someone else here can make a good suggestion.

Check out the SVS PB10 for $429; Great sub at very good savings over some of these mini subs with either little low bass or THD out the wazoo.;)

RyanYYZ

Auditioning
I love my Paradigm PDR-10. Was about $400 CAN...

Room is 17x10 so a little smaller than yours but I don't even push this puppy - volume knob is about halfway and it's almost too much at times.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
The PB10 doesn't qualify as smaller than what he is replacing.

For small and budget I'd take a good look at the Rocket ULW-10. I'm impressed by the musicality of the UFW-10 I've heard.

Well, in subs size is important. The SVS is much better than what he is replacing for a lot less money than the Rocket. The Rocket also has no real output below 30 hz and that is important for most movie listeners. The ACI Force is a very good, small sealed sub with much better sub 30 hz output than the Rocket but it costs about $750.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Well the Force would be my first choice but I guessed it was out of his budget. ULW is not the UFW. While still a sealed sub it is $399 and has SOCS.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter

In Craigsub's review he measured the ULW-10 flat to 28hz and down 6dB at 22hz. On the other hand I have measured a Force at 20hz with just a Rat Shack meter in a large room.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks