What's new

I'm feeling masochistic: Which Uwe Boll film should I watch? (1 Viewer)

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have yet to experience a Uwe Boll film but his reputation as one of the worst film-makers ever is giving me the nagging urge to check one out. Is there one of his movies that stands out below the rest? What is the penultimate Uwe Boll movie that I should add to my Netflix queue?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are looking for the truly worst of his offerings, I don't know. However, the one and only I have seen, BloodRayne, is three-kernel cheesy fun. Downright surreal. Just get into the spirit.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Allrightythen. House of the Dead it shall be and, if I haven't clawed my eyes out by the end of it, perhaps I'll check out Bloodrayne. I may have to stop by a liquor store first...

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
My favorite comment on Uwe Boll was found on AICN (talkback): "What the fuck kind of name is Uwe Boll anyway". Classic.

--
H

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
House Of The Dead is by far his worst film. The story is stupid yes, but the filmmaking is grossly incompotent: cameras pointed in the wrong spots, people so close to the lens their breath fogs it, clearly visible springboards, etc etc.

On top of that you have bizarre pseudo-videogame moments (people pick up guns and the camera does a 360 pan around them). And not enough nudity.

Uwe's filmmaking does improve (a little) with each movie. By the time Bloodrayne was finished it was merely an unremarkable bad movie (except the very end's pointless montage of cartoon blood geysers). I suspect In The Name Of The King won't be any worse than any of the stuff made for the Sci-Fi channel.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The scary part of Uwe Boll is that he can blend into the crowd. Francis Ford-Coppola and George Lucas will be spotted from 200 miles away, but Uwe can drink a half dozen beers at any American Legion in the country and nobody would suspect that he is the most loathed Pop-filmmaker in 30 years.

I am beginning to suspect that Mr. Boll knows he is a terrible filmmaker. He probably could assemble a reasonable film if he wanted, but he simply enjoys hogging the spotlight in ways that other ego-maniacal filmmakers (Vincent Gallo, Larry Clark etc etc) can only dream of. He provides DVD commentary while eating Thai food and (jokingly) offers his critics the opportunity to go a round with him in the boxing ring. Plus being a filmmakers allows him ample time to hang around a bevy of beautiful women that he would never encounter if he were in any other business.

"No, this man is not just another stupid bad filmmaker, he is methodical, exacting, and worst of all patient." (Say it in your best Morgan Freeman drawl).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Your descriptions are making me want to actively seek out his films. It sounds like he screws up basic things that even Ed Wood didn't screw up. And his thumbs-up photo makes him look like a tool.

I have several questions:

1. Who gives this guy money to make his films?

2. Does anyone actually like his films?

3. How do you pronounce his name?

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

I doubt very many enjoy his films but every movie has someone who enjoys it. This guy keeps making movies because they keep making money. The same with German director Ulli Lommel who keeps releasing direct to DVD trash. People keep asking why LionsGate releases them but it's very simple. People keep buying them.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
'Ooo-vay bowl' There is no "w" sound in traditional German.

How does he finance his movies? There are 2 rumours

1. German tax law allows to his backers to apply any boxoffice loss towards their owed tax. Most people would rather burn their money than give it to the government.

2. Nazi gold.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Anyone a seanbaby fan on here? He is a young gonzo journalist who mostly writes about video games for Electronic Gaming and has a column in his local paper The Wave. Anyway, he wrote some great reviews of the Uwe oeuvre and a bit about taking him on in the boxing ring. seanbaby is a well trained martial artist and would wipe the floor with Boll but the German director is wise enough to only box people with no experience.

Anyway, it is a fun little article:
Seanbaby's The Saga of Uwe from 1UP.com

As for funding, I loves the Nazi Gold theory. I personally think video game hater Jack Thompson is financing these movies (since they are ALL video game movies) to prove that video games are evil.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have several comments.

This world is so full of suckers. Uwe pretends he takes himself seriously and suckers line up to show their indignity at him. Wake up and spell the Uwe Bollshit folks.

I will repeat myself. I genuinely enjoy BloodRayne in a "OMG, how bizarre can this get?" way. I mean, Meatloaf as a Medieval Lord with serious fetish issues? Ben Kingsley as some sort of transvestite Vamp King? Michael Madsen with a British accent, or Michelle Rodriguez for that matter? Not to mention, what the HELL is Geraldine Chaplin doing in this?!? This is Camp at the highest level.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So German investors stand to make more money from a flop than from a hit? It's not just a tax shelter, it's the plot of The Producers!

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Actually, I believe that German law was changed in 2005 or 2006 so that can't be helping him now. I noticed he has six or seven upcoming projects so something else is doing.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
The only Boll film I have seen is BloodRayne and I didn't think it was nearly as bad as everyone said. I guess a constant barrage of "Worst Movie Ever" claims made my expectations low enough to enjoy it slightly. Granted, if it hadn't been for T3's breast showing up I may feel much more angry at Uwe. Lucky for him I can watch pretty much anything with enough quality boobs in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks