What's new

I'm beginning to suspect my biggest mistake in all year has been buying a GameCube. (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Buying a console now or buying a console later means you eventually get a console. The benefits of buying it later are that great games are right there (and some are cheaper). The benefits of buying it now is that you can play all those games as they come along and not have to wait.

Just buy them all and they'll eventually all be worth it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I owned a Saturn.
Me too! Didn't it have some of the greatest games made in the 90's? All those cool 2D fighters, cool puzzlers, great action games, great shooters & superb original titles from Sega? A lovely lovely machine.

Oh wait, you're going to say it was shit too, aren't you?

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I tend to agree with some of what's being said here. I have had a PS2 since November and have never said "man there aren't any good games out". I bought a Cube to supplement my PS2. I knew it wasn't going to be my main system but there were a few games that I really wanted, Resident Evil being the deciding factor. I bought Rougue Leader and agree with the comments, it's too damn hard and very frustrating. I couldn't get past the Imperial Academy Heist level, I kept getting spotted. However, Eternal Darkness is right around the corner, Resident Evil 0 is coming soon, and over the next few months there are gonna be some great titles. So I'll play my PS2 and when those must have games come to the cube I'll pick them up.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
....but I have heard good things about Pikmin...so maybe there is hope.
I can't remember when was the last time I saw a game as fun and inventive as Pikmin. It might have been SimCity 2000.

It's not everyone's favourite game, but the cute graphics, terrific sound effects, effective controls and innovative gameplay definitely are mine.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Actually Javier, I completely agree (not just about the PS1 ;)) with your assessment of multiplayer gaming. I have to admit that another knock against the PS1/2 is its obnoxious additional cost for a extra controller ports. I love multiplayer gaming, whether its via computer or with people right there.
I have to say, it's a true shame you couldn't get into Smash Bros. The four player melee battles I've played with my friends in my apartment building have been some of the most hilarious and engaging multiplayer sessions ever.
But, I suggest trying Bomberman Generations or definitely Super MonkeyBall. I know SMB is almost as fun as SSB:M, and 2D Bomberman should hopefully be as classic as its always been.
I agree the wait for solid multiplayer is long. But I have faith in the upcoming games, not only solid singleplayer such as Eternal Darkness (drool drool), but multiplayer games like the SMB sequel and Beach Spikers. Not to mention the new Mario Party.
Admittedly though, when it's all said and done, I would have another system if I was just using the Cube to play games, but I would definitely have a Cube. However, my PC is my other system, so no need for a second console. Not with Counter-Strike anyway :D

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Thanks John, I'll try it.
I even bought the game guide and searched for a 2 player team option but couldn't find it.

I'd still like to play adventure mode (sort of like double dragon) or have random enemies but at least it is something.

Doug

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Wouldn't hurt to post those suggestions to nintendo email. I'm of the mind that Smash Brothers could be as omnipresent as Mario Party was on the last console. One could easily be made each year, and there would need to be some update, improvement, or change.

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Monkey Ball 'almost' as good as Smash Brothers?

Get out of here! Smash Brothers doesn't deserve to make Super Monkey Ball's multiplayer coffee! All of the seven modes of SMB are at least 2 player, 5 of them can be even played with a single controller, and all of them rule.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Mark, while we are on the subject of multiplayer gaming and Bomberman, that single game is responsible for long nights without sleep at my ex-boss' home! I remember he used to invite a couple of his friends for a pizza every now and then, and he *always* had his TurboGrafx-16 connected to his RPTV. I don't remember having a better time, blowing my boss to bits every now and then (for the sake of our working relationship, sometimes I let him win ;) )
But wait... you are onto something here. The GC is the cheapest of all the systems. It has 4 ports. Could it be Nintendo designed it so that everyone could get one, have at least one control, and thus ease the multiplayer craze? I hope so.
In the meantime... woo-hoo! The Xbox price has dropped by more than half in Mexico! (nothing to be excited about, really - from $900 - yes, 900 US dollars! to $280 USD). So I'm buying one today.
JSRF, here I come! :D

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I sold my Dreamcast along time ago (sorry Romier), and man, do I miss Power Stone
If I had sold mine (which I never will, its just wrong to me) then thats probably the only game I would ever miss on it.

I think Pikmin was a GREAT game. Same for SSB:M. I also loved Rogue Leader and didn't think it was too hard.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
*sigh* I sold my Dreamcast along time ago (sorry Romier), and man, do I miss Power Stone.
Don't forget Power Stone 2 ;)
And Saturn also had the only REAL ports done of X-Men vs Street Fight and Marvel Super Heroes vs SF, and Guardian Heroes, AND Daytona USA, AND VF 2 :). Gee, I could be here all day :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks