What's new

I'm beginning to suspect my biggest mistake in all year has been buying a GameCube. (1 Viewer)

Tino D'Voe

Agent
I have to agree, Nintendo's sniffing some glue. It's almost like they don't want to outsell the other consoles. Spend the money, take advantage of the world cup, nhl playoffs, nba playoffs, all the other sports etc. Summer break in a few weeks and the fact that the console is cheaper than all the rest and ADVERTISE!!! get a catchy jingle like playstation and sega had and watch people buy more consoles! The commercials they had going were kind of lame, and nothing's out now that shows that nintendo even exists anymore! They should have their logo plastered all over the stadiums and arenas! Oh well, someone's going to win out of x-box and nintendo, and it may very well be the one who really wants it!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Oh well, someone's going to win out of x-box and nintendo, and it may very well be the one who really wants it!
Well see thats the interesting point here. Nintendo, with their last 2 consoles has pretty much taken the low-key approach. To be honest I think Nintendo's goals are far more realistic than Microsoft's. Nintendo is content at being number 2. They want to sell what console's they can and make sure they push as much software as possible. Make their tidy profit. They will do what they can to stay in the game.
Microsoft, while I don't think they would mind coming up second, especially considering the X-box is their "Get to know us" introductory console. They really want to be #1. Though that is a bit more unrealistic these days. Like it or not Sony is just a powerhouse right now and an unstoppable one at that. Microsoft is definitely shooting for long haul and this generation of consoles is an investment to them.
Nintendo's approach may be more intelligent. Stick with what you know. Make the games that appeal to your base audience and try to grab a few more for the hell of it. Its what kept the N64 alive for 5-6 years and I don't see that changing with the Gamecube.
At the same time Nintendo must feel like Mothra during a fight between King Gidra and Godzilla. The Mega-corporations are battling it out while the Big N gets their shots in every once in a while. If anything its interesting to watch:)
Back on topic though. I would not worry much about the Gamecube purchase. By this time next year you will be a *VERY* happy man when you are resting on your tuckus taking in the glory of Mario Sunshine, Zelda and Metroid. Its all good my friend. Its all good.

Chris Beveridge

Second Unit
I picked up a GC shortly after release because of Rogue Leader, which I ended up just plain not liking. Same with Super Smash Bros. I just couldn't get into it. So the cube has been dormant up until this past weekend when Bomberman Generations came in.

The addiction has started all over again.

Regardless, I had to buy one at some point, so I bought it when I had the extra money. My wife is just waiting for Zelda to come out so she can spend her days with it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I have 14 great games for the GameCube. And I can't wait for Eternal Darkness, Mario, Starfox, Metroid, Wario World, Resident Evil 0...

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
PS2 had it easier because there was no competition. I was perfectly happy for months with SSX and Madden 2001.

I was a WaveRace64 junkie on the N64 and sad to say, Wave Race Blue Storm captured none of that magic. It seems like an excercise in futility to me. They should have named it obstacle course race.

Super Smash held my interest for a few days but the lack of team up play (2 humans against the AI) really killed the replayability for me.

I have seen absolutley nothing on the GameCube that impresses me. I think they went for the cheap hardware price and the games have suffered. When N64 came out, nothing came close to Mario64. There is nothing like that on GC.

All my opinion, I'll be first in line to get Mario Sunshine.

Doug

Dan B

Screenwriter
I wanted something to play with my little cousins when they visit (kinda like Mario Tennis or Mario Party). Sadly, they didn't like Smash Bros., and they always want to play my DC's Tennis 2K1, Virtua Athlete or Street Fighter III.
Smart kids! :emoji_thumbsup:
C'mon people! Everybody knows you buy Nintendo systems for Mario & Link. Nintendo hasn't released their Mario or Link games yet, so what did you expect? When Mario comes out this summer, then you'll realise "why the hell was I thinking of selling this anyway?". There are some fun games on GC worth buying (or at least if you can find them cheap) such as Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil, & Pikmin.
Nintendo is not about quantity. Are you angry at your DVD player because no good movies have been released in the last 2 months? Give it some time. Have fun when the games do come. Go outside amidst the magic mushrooms & forget about the measly $200 you spent on your game hardware. Relax.
-Dan B

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I wouldn't call Super Monkey Ball a boring rehash or a bad game. Just to name one. Or Pikmin to name another.
Also, look at Nintendo's upcoming line up. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and more. Games that blew 'em away at E3.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Super Smash held my interest for a few days but the lack of team up play (2 humans against the AI) really killed the replayability for me.
Go into standard melee mode. Choose at least 1 character. Move your selector up to the left corner of the screen where it says "Melee" press the "A" button, and it will become "Team Melee". Now two players will become a team. You can then move your selector to the two empty player slots and press "A" this will create CPU players. You can then select which characters the CPU will play, and the CPU difficulty level.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I picked up a GC shortly after release because of Rogue Leader, which I ended up just plain not liking
Im in the same boat. Rogue Leader, while nice to look at, was too damn hard and not compelling enough for me. It's sad; I haven't touched my GC since December of last year... oh wait, yes I did - I dusted it off this weekend so it wouldn't spill dust onto my shine XBox (kidding):D
Im hoping Mario Sunshine appeals to me and I might pick up Wrestlemania X8 but other than that I totally regret getting the GC.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Brian, I have searched high and low for Super Monkey Ball. No luck. :frowning: I know it's a game I'll like, yet I can't find it!
Still... ah... I'm still so impressed by Pikmin. It's truly a next generation game in the sense that it harnesses the system power for creating FUN.
As for Nintendo, it's really surprising how they had a $100 advantage in system pricing yet they couldn't make much off it. The system is great, nice looking, ready for multiplayer games and reasonably powerful (as I understand, a bit more powerful than the PS2, less powerful than the Xbox). I don't think any company is happy with being #2, much less Nintendo.
Oh, well. let's wait and see what the holiday season has in store for the GC.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
But I think Nintendo has let me down in a way I thought only Sega could.
Them's fighting words rounds here :)
Sega has NEVER let down on the software side.
Notice the games everyone's playing? Sega titles. Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Virtua Fighter 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Sonic Adventure 2:Battle, the list goes on and on and on, as the addiction that is ToeJam and Earl hasn't struck yet

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but not everyone loves Sega games. The only one I've fell in love with lately is Rez.

To each his own, I spose.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Sega has NEVER let down on the software side.
Notice the games everyone's playing? Sega titles. Crazy Taxi, Super Monkey Ball, Virtua Fighter 2, Jet Set Radio Future, Sonic Adventure 2:Battle, the list goes on and on and on, as the addiction that is ToeJam and Earl hasn't struck yet
Sega software is awesome. But their hardware support was worse than terrible. After the Sega MegaDrive / Genesis, everything went downhill. SegaCD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast. Flop after flop after flop after flop.
Even then, I'll be the first to admit the flops were due to marketing errors (except for the Saturn, which, as I understand, had a very difficult system architecture and was underpowered when compared to the PS1). I have never liked a console as much as I like my Dreamcast. :D

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Well, I sympathize Javier, but if you weren't certain about the purchase, you probably ought to have rented the system or something. Being stuck with something you don't want is unfortunate. But at least now you have Pikmin ;).
I disagree about Nintendo being unhappy in number two. They're only number two (or three or whatever) in consoles. In handhelds Nintendo is packing away the cash hand over fist.
I came at the Cube from the opposite way. I bought a PSOne to play some Final Fantasy titles and the Res Evil series. But beyond that handful of games and Metal Gear Solid, nothing had the fun of the old Nintendo games. I don't regret the purchase, but the PSOne was the worst system I've ever owned.
Leery of the second burn, I borrowed a friend's PS2 and the only two games that really got my motor running were SSX and Klonoa 2. GTA3 is great too, but not enough to warrant the system.
I look at the GameCube and I see everything I loved about the old days of gaming. It may just be nostalgia that sold me on the system, but frankly I loathed the N64 passionately, so it's not all that.
Then again, I'm a huge Smash Bros fan and a much-mentioned Resident Evil maniac. Between those two games and Eternal Darkness I won't regret my Cube one bit. And that's not counting Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Monkey Ball, SSX, Wave Race, Pikmin, and anything else coming out in the future.
If enthusiasm was a tradeable commodity, I would lend you some ;)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sega and Nintendo are definitely visionaries and artists when it comes to videogames. Thats pretty much agreed apon.

But hardware-wise, Sega has not done that well (mainly bad decisions, not poor hardware) and Nintendo has tried to be individuals. The N64's cartridge idea was a bad idea because a lot of companies didn't buy into it, but it still had good games. The DC wasn't that popular in America, but it still had a lot of good games (though I personally was a little disappointed that almost all of them came from Sega and Capcom).

A few days ago, my brother put the DC in his room since nobody plays it anyway (and I have the N64 and PSX and SNES in my room, PS2 and GCN in another room). We played it a little yesterday (Power Stone) with a friend of his, but other than that, we haven't played it since the beginning of last summer, if not earlier. I personally find little interest in the console and the games.

Just today, I played a first generation PS2 title (TimeSplitters) and my GameCube (Super Smash Bros.: Melee). I've played both consoles probably every other day (at least) for the last few months (there were some down times for each). To each his own.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Mark, I thought I was the only person on earth who didn't like the PS1!

I have learned time after time that videogaming fun comes from multiplayer gaming. I might be hooked on Pikmin and Rogue Leader now, but nothing beats a good ol' game of Mario Party with your friends (even when your friends are 30-something guys, and their girlfriends/wives are staring in disbelief at the screen). That's the reason I got my GameCube. 4 controller ports, the Mario franchise... the thing is, I'm worried about this long wait for quality, multiplayer games.

Users who are viewing this thread