What's new

I'm beginning to suspect my biggest mistake in all year has been buying a GameCube. (1 Viewer)

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
The PS2 had the same void of good games in it's first year. Everyone bought Madden and SSX and then sat around waited until Gran Tourismo is released. This time last year we were all discussing how the DC had such great games and good selection while the PS2 had little to nothing.

You can't count either GC or XBox out until we see what happens at the end of the year.

If you've made it this far with the GC, you can make it a little further. Our GT3 (Mario) is right around the corner, and then we'll be seeing out MGS2 (Zelda). While I haven't been completely impressed with the number of games being released lately, I'm willing to wait it out.

----

I had more fun with my Saturn than my PS1 (until the Saturn died). VF1, VF2, Daytona, Sega Rally, Panzer Dragoons, Astral, Virtua Cops, WorldWide Soccer, Bug!, Street Fighter Alphas, World Series Baseball, Knights..... I think I bought just about ever launch title except for Clockwork Knight.

I bought a PS1 to play Formula 1, Resident Evil, and Wipeout XL.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
and then we'll be seeing our MGS2 (Zelda)
God, I sure hope not. Imagines a 45 minutes CGI movie as the link/ganondorf/zelda anima/animus figures inside Link's head begin talking to him about the fate of the world, and genetic code, numerous nonsensical flashbacks to the hyrule, mario in bullet time, the octarok as purveyor of capitalist intent, the water pack as indicative of Link's sexual longing towards Zelda...
Just, kidding by the way. I totally agree with the above post and am looking forward to the gamecube's lineup.
:D
Joseph

Oscar_R

Second Unit
mine sat there collecting dust , literally from launch till Resident Evil came out. Now that RS is done and over with, it's gone back to collecting dust..

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Jeff-

I can tell you like PW2. Personally, I think that PW1 was a better game and PW2 was the same game, only they ruined it by adding all kinds of features I didn't want. Granted, I only played it a few times when my brother's friend brought it over, but it just felt like they made it more like Final Fight than Power Stone.

I found that the "moving" levels from SSB:M were superior to those in PW2, mainly because they are pretty much 2-D and aren't as big and difficult. Then again, thats just my opinion.

Once again, an aspect of the DC that I personally didn't care for. To each their own.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
Imagines a 45 minutes CGI movie as the link/ganondorf/zelda anima/animus figures inside Link's head begin talking to him about the fate of the world, and genetic code, numerous nonsensical flashbacks to the hyrule, mario in bullet time, the octarok as purveyor of capitalist intent, the water pack as indicative of Link's sexual longing towards Zelda...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I have already bought
Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness.
And I'm quite happy with my cube.

And with the future games of
Mario Sunshine
Zelda
Mortal Kombat 4
Metroid
Resident Evil ZERO
Resident Evil 4
Castlevania
Mario Party
Super Monkey Ball 2

How can you resist?

Plus you know that there will be sequels to at least
Mario Sunshine
Metroid
Zelda

James D S

Screenwriter
Plus you know that there will be sequels to at least
Mario Sunshine
Metroid
Zelda
Do we? Based on track record this is hardly a given. I fact, to my immediate recollection only two of the above franchises ever had a sequel on any one console (though one did it twice) - Mario (NES) and Zelda (NES and N64).

BTW for me, so far Rogue Squadron is the only game I play on my GameCube. While I'm looking forward to the first-party offerings, first-party titles alone could not save the N64 for me. I fear this will be more of the same. Not complaining though as 4-5 must-have games would be all I need to justify the purchase of the system.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
If you've walked into an Electronics Boutique lately, you'll note that their wall is full of "coming soon" boxes. Many games from publishers other than Nintendo are in the pipeline. I think the numbers I've heard were 100-150 total by year end.

Because of the nature of the Gamecube, I think it's more likely we'll see follow ups for Zelda, Mario, and Metroid - so long as they do well.

I'm hoping that Smash Brothers joins Mario Party as the system game that gets rereleased several times in new and exciting formats.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I can't believe this thread is still going strong :)
So, anyway, I thought I might chip in. I now own 4 controllers. My friends have decided Super Smash Brothers Melee is the most boring thing to come around since "Sonic Shuffle" for the Dreamcast, yet they consider Super Monkey Ball and Sega Smash Soccer as a gift from God, right along Tennis 2K2 for the DC. I also own now Resident Evil, Rogue Squadron, and Pikmin.
My veredict? Games are too hard these days. Way too hard. Yes, I'm a wimp. Yes, I'm (quotation marks with fingers)not cool(close quotation marks with finers). Yes, I (quotation marks with fingers)don't get it(close quotation marks with fingers).
Let me explain. Back when I was a kid, there was this loveable round thing with mouth and eyes. It was called "Pac-Man". I used a joystick to move it around. Likewise, there was this little tower with a laser. I moved it left to right and shot it with my "fire" button. Life was good. My brain wasn't overtaxed at all.
Now, someone expects me to play a game (SSBM) with a couple of friends that require to learn literally dozens of button and stick combinations in order to play. Want to hit? Left right, left right, up down, Button X, Button Y, time it, release and hope for the best. This is not a reflex or memory test! I only want to be entertained!
That's the reason Tennis 2K2, Super Monkey Ball and hopefully, the next release of Mario Party are such hits - they are simple enough to be mastered in a couple of minutes, yet the real challenge is in outwitting another human being. There is no challenge if I train everyday on my game system and beat my (non Gamecube owning) friends.
So... as long as I stay away from Resident Evil (did someone actually finish this game without clues? WOW) the latter Rogue Squadron missions, Super Smash Brothers Melée and games like that, I guess I'll be ok ;)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Mine has been collecting dust since release.

I purchased Wave Race and Super Smash, plus an extra controller.

I don't think it will be turned on again until Mario is released.

It honestly blows my mind. Nintendo was always my favorite.

When they write the book on how not to launch a console, Nintendo's GameCube should cover 90% of it.

Doug

AlexGoodman

Agent
I seem to recall reading something on videogames.com recently that said that the Cube would be Nintendo's last console. This makes a lot of sense because their games have always been much better than the hardware running them. Can't wait to play Zelda on the PS3.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
That's a meritless rumor that's been around for a long time. No doubt the rumor will continue into Nintendo's next system.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Javier, if you're having that much of a problem with it, there's an option you can flick in SSBM to set it to ultra-easy-mode where everything is done with the A button only, or something like that. I never needed it, but it may help ;).
I think SSBM is one of the easiest games to get into out there, personally. I am the opposite of you, I lament how damn easy all the games are these days. Play value went out the window in favor of glossy graphics and other garbage that doesn't matter.
Sorry to those of you who don't like your Cubes. I love mine to death in a way I never did with my PSOne, but to each their own right?
And sadly, my most anticipated Cube game is actually Animal Crossing :D

AlexGoodman

Agent
Here's a link to what new Nintendo President Satoru Iwata said in an analyst meeting in early June. It doesn't specifically say that the GameCube will be their last system (I think Gamespot inferred that, but I can't access their news anymore because I don't have GS Complete), but it does state that Nintendo doesn't see a future in hardware competition, so it plans to focus on making games instead.
http://www.project-e.com/news/news334.htm
Unless the analyst meeting never happened and the whole thing is an elaborate hoax, but I really don't think so.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
And sadly, my most anticipated Cube game is actually Animal Crossing
What's sad about that? Animal Crossing looks awesome! I just wish they were bringing Animal Leader and Doshin overseas as well.

Regarding what Iwata said: He basically said he's not sure how much further new hardware can take gaming. He thinks the focus needs to be on games and not pushing the next new hardware. In other words: The gamecube is as good as it needs to be, they need not look forward NOW. Should Microsoft or Sony force a reevaluation of this based on some astounding new technology.

Right now the Nintendo can push graphics that are similar to current CGI animated films. They have a wireless controller and 1.5g capacity with the option to switch discs if necessary. I'm fairly sure Iwata just doesn't want to look forward already to Next Gen.

If you'll pay attention to all things Nintendo, and not just "doom and gloom" you'll note that Shigeru Miyamoto (Nintendo's resident gaming God) beleives that the Gamecube can last 8-10 years compared to the typical 5 year platform cycle. In 5 years we'll know how true this is.

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Mark - don't get me wrong, I love my little blue cube that can and does!
It's just that, to me, games are meant to be played with a crowd, and it's no fun when people don't know how to play a game, so you end up beating them mercilessly.
In this respect, I can honestly say Atari's "Combat" could be the game to play from here to eternity. Against the computer, it's a bore. Against another human being, it is great fun.
I'll look for the single button mode on SSBM. Maybe this'll help my friends and me, old farts who never really embraced new console gaming ;)
Thanks!

AlexGoodman

Agent
Believe me, I don't want this to turn into a flame war. I really appreciate the high class of those who use these boards.

I don't consider Nintendo moving away from hardware to be "doom and gloom." Iwata specifically said that Nintendo would focus on games rather than hardware, which points to a likely exit from console hardware, and I think that would be a great move for them, as it has been for Sega. I think Nintendo is starting to figure out that users for the most part want the system with the best hardware or that has the most extra features. Nintendo doesn't seem to want to have to compete for that.

It's clear that the Cube has serious hardware deficiencies. For example, reviews will tell you that the Cube versions of SSX Tricky and Tony Hawk 3 are the least of the three in both cases. Also, the Cube memory card space is rediculously small, as anyone who plays sports games will attest. Finally, remember that the N64 was the last system to use cartridges.

As for Miyamoto, he makes brilliant games, but he did say once long after the PSOne and DC came out that cartridges were the best format for games. I don't know how anyone could agree with that, particularly from a design or programming standpoint.

I love many of the games for the Cube, but I really don't like the Cube itself, and it will never be more than a second system for me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
From a programming standpoint, cartridges are very bad. But buying a cartridge game means no loading times, not having to always keep them in a case, no moving parts in the console, and no need for memory cards (for some games).

I seem to recall reading something on videogames.com recently that said that the Cube would be Nintendo's last console
I remember reading the story about that on GameSpot. What they actually said was something like they plan to support the GameCube to a more than 5-year lifespan (which means they will probably have Mario/Zelda/Metroid sequels) and that they want to focus more on making games than new hardware. They won't stop making new consoles, but they will focus more on making them for playing the next wave of games to keep up with the competition than pushing the technical envelope.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks