What's new

I'm about ready to take the plunge... (1 Viewer)

I'm about ready to purchase an HDTV to put into the house I just bought.
While I was in Good Guys last weekend I saw a number of HDTVs on display, and they were mostly all showing the same thing, which was Toy Story 2. However, even though most of the TVs were Mitsubishis, the quality of the picture was completely different on each set. Will there truly be that much variance in the quality just on the basis of how the TV is set? What am I missing in all of this?
Thanks...
-David

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
What am I missing in all of this?
You are probably missing a store that knows how to calibrate and present its televisions. They are not even showing a high-definition source if they are just demonstrating TS2.
I'm not sure how to completely rectify this. If you have a higher-end A/V store, they might take the time and trouble to set up the televisions properly. If all else fails, you can always bring along a copy of Video Essentials and try to adust the picture yourself. But the guys at GG would probably not approve.
What sets are you considering?
- Steve

John Richard

Auditioning
David,
I don't know how much your willing to spend, but to me there is one sure bet as far as HDTV: Sony's KW-34HD1
http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...kw-34hd1.shtml
Don't be shocked at the price, you can usually get this from the appropriate electronics dealer for $5999, or online for even less. You won't find this item at your local Good Guys.
I did a lot of shopping and soul searching given the price tag for this kind of luxury, and this model came out on top in almost every catagory.
Iv'e had this TV for almost a year now, and I'm still amazed at the depth, clarity and detail the picture provides. I have it hooked-up to an HDTV satellite receiver, which in my opinion is a must. It doesn't make much sense to have an HDTV and use it to watch inferior digital cable.
The DVD presentation with the widescreen 16:9 asect ratio is nothing less than stunning. The truest colors with absolutely no bleeding. Unfortunately, I've gotten so spoiled, I can't tolerate watching VHS anymore.
I have my whole system hooked up to a Bose 5.1 channel home theater system, but even if you choose not to have a separate sound system, this HDTV's sound capabilities stand on it's own. When your watching something recorded in multi-channel stereo, the various sounds just jump out at you. The TV duplicates the surround/hometheater experience without requiring the actual equipment.
I have a smallish apartment, so the 34" sceen was perfect for the space available. If big TVs are your thing, Sony also has this model in a 65" screen. Although the pricetag is in proportion to the size.
Ultimately, everyone needs to make up their own mind. The best advise I can offer is that you research thouroughly and learn as much as you can so you can make an informed decision. Sometimes this means doing independent reading or searching on the internet and not listening to the salesperson who might not necessarily have your best interest in mind.
Whatever you end up choosing, I hope your search goes well and you get something you like.
John

Our local Sears only has one tv, the Mits 55807, that is truly widescreen. They have it running the DishNetwork HD promo and it is spectacular. I don't know what they had at the Good Guys last weekend, but the majority of them were the Mits Platinum series (it said), though the one that attracted me most was labeled Mits Diamond series.
And advice about these?
-David

Bill_M

Agent
It doesn't matter which HDTV you buy as all of them will blow away NTSC when displaying (H/S)DTV. I'll bet every brand has a very satisfied user in this forum. All RPTVs need adjustment. The direct views don't but won't give you as high of resolution as the RPTVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks