What's new

I'm a little dissapointed in NBC (re: ER Premiere) (1 Viewer)

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
NBC...many people will say it took balls. Other poeple will say that they're pushing the envelope. I think their scarred and will try to do anyhting to keep people watching by appealing to nothing more then car crash mentality. NBC relegated themselves to nothing more than FOX level broadcasting. E.R. in it's glory days would create a sense of dread by quick camera work, fast action, a pounding soundtrack and good all-around acting.

Now with the departures of Anthony Edwards, Eric LaSalle, George Clooney, and Julianna Margulies...NBC felt it necessary to shock the audience into watching. Pressure from CBS shows like CSI and Without a Trace have scarred the shit out of NBC so they push the envelope and we sit back and say ok what will be next. I never thought I had a line but the E.R. premiere crossed it, I guess. I'm not offended by the gore...believe me...Halloween is my favorite night of the year. The Re-Animator remains one of my favorites but when do we start to say enough? I know, I know, watch something else, turn off your T.V. but why do people idly sit back and let the networks even try this kind of sensationalism. The over-the-topness of it all is what offends me. It was out-of-place in a show that used to be well-written. Even my wife commented that after the Romano event the rest of the show was pretty boring and I would have to agree.

I don't think they pushed the envelope, I don't think they had balls. I'm disspointed in their LACK of creativity. They've forgotten that some of the best thrillers had no blood and no gore.

More intelligent writing and character development please and less cheap parlour tricks.

Thanks FOX(oops I mean NBC).

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
anthony edwards and eric lasalle are gone? :frowning: i thought lasalle had one more year to go in his contract...did edwards's character die? it's been quite a while since i've seen e.r., mainly because it turned into a soap opera awhile back and also because of interest in other shows, school, etc. so noah wyle is the only original principal cast member left?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

Exactly, the problem wit ER goes back many more seasons than last week's premiere. If you ask me it hasn't been the same since they killed Lucy. After that it just seemed to meander through more soap opera elements and introduce terribly unintersting characters (Luka, Abby, Malucci, Gant). I still watch it because my wife does, but her interest is starting to wain as well.

Romano was actually the last interesting character they had, and just putting him through this cliched story of a surgeon who can't operate due to his malady and him having to 'lighten up' because he's been the patient just doesn't interest me.

Gordon Moore

Second Unit
LaSalle left middle of last season and Edwards left at the end. The Marc Green character succumbed to his brain tumour (how's that for soap operaish?). LaSalle just left on his own power. Noah Wyles character has moved into the prinicipal spolight although I think the show has always revolved around Carter's character to some degree anyway. A lot of the original focus of the show doesn't appear to be there. Occasional episodes stand out more than others but this is a VERY DIFFERENT E.R. than several years ago(not that that's always bad thing, if it didn't change a bit...it would be written off as stale I suppose).

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Wasn't Sherrie Stringfield and Ming-Na original ER cast members (was did Ming-Na come in the 2nd season?

If a show isn't doing it for you, just tune out. There's plenty of other stuff out vying for your attention.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Sherry was original. Ming-Na started in the middle of the first season. Both left and came back of course.

Pretty soon ER will be like Law&Order, which has no original cast members (not even the guy that played Profaci). It won't work nearly as well, though.

//Ken

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I hope that when Noah Wylie leaves, they call it quits. As Gordon pointed out, he's really the central character anyway.

Thomas H G

Screenwriter
What exactly happened in the season premier? I didn't watch it so I'm kinda lost on what happened? You could just point me to a site that tells this stuff if you so choose.

I used to be all into this show. Great stuff. I think I quit or started to give up after Sherry Stringfield left. For me that was the beginning of the end. I still tuned in occasionally, but it wasn't the same. It's hard to get back into it after missing so much, so I've found new shows to follow.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I didn't watch it either, but I hear Dr. Romano had his arm chopped off by a helicopter. I'm just tired of all of them. I watched "Without a Trace". So did a lot of other people - it severely cut into ER's audience last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks